What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
Undergrad environmental engineering, focusing on water quality and waste water treatment.

Chem E from Minnesota Duluth, '98
Haven't done much chemistry since college, it's all medical device design lately.

And since we're talking alma mater: tBulldogs, Nat'l Hockey Champs 2011!

FF02.jpg

You can tell an engineer a mile away, get them up close and you can't tell them a thing! lol
Operations, oilfield North Slope of Alaska!!!!

I'm a machinist. Engineers piss me off half the time. One company I make part for they are friggin brilliant, and you can actually talk with them and negotiate. Another company, they have absolutely no practical knowledge of machined parts, and occasionally send us prints of parts that are physically impossible to make.

Interesting poll though. Pretty amazing, really.

I'm a machinist. Engineers piss me off half the time. One company I make part for they are friggin brilliant, and you can actually talk with them and negotiate. Another company, they have absolutely no practical knowledge of machined parts, and occasionally send us prints of parts that are physically impossible to make.

Interesting poll though. Pretty amazing, really.

Yep that sounds about right. It's pretty easy to pick out the useless ones in college. Yeah they can study for tests well and do great in class, but they have absolutely no common sense when it comes to the real world application of things. And of course these are the ones getting all the internships and co-ops.

I agree. I should have been an engineer. I'd be good at it. And I'd be finished with school by now. I will be a pharmacist.

flyfisherwes said:
I agree. I should have been an engineer. I'd be good at it. And I'd be finished with school by now. I will be a pharmacist.

I'm in pharmacy school also. Love you enthusiasm about it!

gstrawn said:
I'm in pharmacy school also. Love you enthusiasm about it!

Haha. Good luck with it. I'm about done. A pharmacist is just a bar tender with an unlimited inventory.

Sorry OP, not an engineer. Probably should have been though cause I am a genius!

(actually I am not a genius. I am not even very intelligent. Come to think of it, I am a freakin' goob)

Well, I can at least make beer so that has to account for something!

I have this feeling that a large percentage of homebrewers are engineers. I was just wondering how large.

'92 BSME from Mich Tech U.

Engineer by education. BSME, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio (and that's "THE" Ohio State University!), class of '90.

Catscan technologist, would much rather have my own homebrew shop. In time I will, just don't know when.

If I had taken the ASVAB with intentions of going into the military instead of to get out of class in high school, the military would most likely have made some sort of engineer base on my results.

Right on.. Chemical engineer working in the plastics industry for a major chemical company.

We don't make the stuff you buy, but make it better and actually last/work.

Mechanical engineering technolgist. Not sure if I count as a real 'engineer' in the sense of having university degrees, since mine came from a trade school. But if anyone here from the army has ever rode in a LAV 3, you've used some stuff I helped design:)

Musician, music teacher, own a music school that provides jobs for some talented friends.

Was on my way to being a software engineer, but was way too depressed about coding worthless garbage for a worthless company instead of following my ideals.

But I just made my first home brew tonight, so naturally I'll be writing books on the subject and opening a craft brewery in the coming months. ;)

I have a Computer Engineering degree from South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, but right now I am stuck with a software engineer job when I would really like a hardware or firmware engineer job.

HbgBill said:
I'm not.. I was a machinist who spent his career supporting engineers.. building their stuff. Without me.. they'd still just have ideas.. grin

Once I realized engineers don't get their hands dirty, it wasn't as appealing.

Not an engineer, only took 2 college math classes in my free time (I am a huge nerd!) Now a managing partner at a casual dining steak house. Have since "engineered" my self an assistant brewer (one of my managers). I might not build stuff, but if a piece of equipment breaks at 7:00 on Saturday night I'll probably be able to figure out how to make it work to get through!:rockin:

TapeDeck said:
Musician, music teacher, own a music school that provides jobs for some talented friends...
The local music store I took lessons at did the same thing. I can say I took guitar lessons from the same place that two members of Killswitch Engage got their start

Electrical engineering, bachelors from the Citadel. Masters in industrial and systems engineering from university of Florida will be completed shortly.

Work as a systems engineer.

Latest posts

Back