What's Your Fermentation Capacity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a chest freezer with an Inkbird 308 controlling the temp that can fit four Fermonsters in. I've had all four in twice, usually only two.

I have a full sized fridge with freezer on top with a dual temp controller.
worked great in the summer to keep things cool but now I need to add a heat source for winter.
have an old waterbed heater and a small ceramic heater I may use for heat.
I can fit a 20 gallon cook pot in there so I believe a BRUT 20 gallon can will fit also so i'll say 15 gallon capcity to allow for head room.

Unless you live in a place where the normal temperature is extreme, your beer only needs to be in the controlled temperature chamber during the early time of the ferment, when the heat given off by the yeast wants to drive the temperature up. Normally be the 5th day the temperature doesn't need controlled, maybe even by the 3rd day if you pitch a massive amount of yeast to minimize the lag time. Take a read on this article:

http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

That means that you could be brewing a new batch every 4 or 5 days if you could find the time and had space to store several fermenters as the beer finishes and gets ready for bottling.

And if he's not quite brewing a little less than once per week, he could cold crash the other days!

Upright freezer with temp controller. I have a ~15 gallon plastic conical in a home built stand. 2" butterfly valve for dumping trub, side mounted racking port (need to make it rotatable.....). Temp probe. I pop the Tilt in there and use an old cell phone to relay it to the wifi and then off to google sheets. I'm also in the process of modifying an old corny (rubber handles were all destroyed) into a custom 5 gallon SS fermenter that I may dedicate to wild/sours. I want to allow the violent fermentation to rise up into a second chamber and dribble back down so as not to simply blow it out.... still working on details.

I have a 7.1 cu ft chest freezer I use with an InkBird for temp control. Can fit two 7gal fermonsters inside at a time

I can do 2 x 5 gallon batches of lager at a time in my small chest freezer with temp control. I have a separate fridge for lagering after primary. I can do ales at ambient temps though pretty easily. So, I can ferment another 4-6 batches with the fermenters I use for ales at one time So, I suppose I could have 8x5 gallon batches in primary at one time if I wanted to. Usually have 2-4 batches going at any one time as far as primary fermentation stages.

Last edited:
I have 4 buckets and 4 carboys. My choke point is bottling. I need to accumulate enough bottles to bottle one batch freeing up a fermenter. I have 15 Styrofoam-lined boxes each holding 42 bottles, and 5 boxes each holding 12 howlers. All but 2 out of the 15 are full. I did give a lot away around the holidays, and should get those empties back, and am bringing a box to a party next weekend, so I should have some room soon.

Back