What's your biggest non brewing hobby?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boardgames...I have well over 200 games sitting in my closet.

These are games most people have never heard of...from Ticket to Ride to Tinner's Trail to Acquire to Dominant Species.

I think my hobby is collecting hobbies. Most prominent outside of brewing are: playing trumpet (and music in general), sports, camping/hunting/fishing, cooking, running, and writing.

1. Fishing
2. Surfing
3. Bowling
4. Brewing

All of the above are equally enjoyable to me. I can only brew every 2-3 weeks though. Any more and I would be unable to do the other three! :drunk:

Beyond brewing, I train retrievers for competitive field trials and hunt tests. I got into doing that after upland and waterfowl hunting many years with buddies that had horribly trained retrievers in the field. During the day I work for a software development company traveling all over the country every couple weeks.

Musician - guitar, mandolin, bass, & resophonic guitar. Photography, cooking, kayaking. Can also "do nothing" with the best of them!

Is there a such thing as a Texas Jayhawk???

Well, in the technical sense there is not....but I am a Jayhawk through and through....graduated a bit ago (1990). And now I live in Texas (never saw that coming but I love it and have been here 14 years now).

Rock Chalk Jayhawk go KU!

Ice climbing around Glencoe and Cairngorm
Rock Climbing
Skiing
Snowboarding
Mountain Biking
Fishing

... basically all outdoors stuff around Scotland.

Golf would be my biggest, been working on trying to get my handicap down into the single digits for the past few months.

Living in Orlando, Theme Park hopping is a pretty big hobby. I can give you a pretty accurate list of all beers served at both Universal Studios and Disney World and where they are in the park.

I did the whole record deal, touring thing back in the early 2000s and it was a blast but man is that a tough way to earn a living.. away for months at a time, living out of a suitcase etc.

Check out some licensing companies like Jingle Punks to help you get some music placed on tv etc. It's not enough to support a family but it can help put a few bucks in your pocket.

Good info...

I've made some good money off of sales on Itunes and cds before they became obsoleteish..ha.

I would hate the part about being away from the family. Once I make another album, I'll certainly get it on all the digital services out there... it is becoming much easier these days to reach people.. there just isn't much money in selling music anymore... as you know for sure.

Cheers!

Running. But given how cold it is in the Midwest right now, looks like I'm brewing two batches this weekend instead of going on the long run.

I see a lot of fellow runners here.. I run to offset the calories i take in from beer. Doing the Manhattan and NYC half marathons in the next few months

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Until recently it was snake breeding, but now it's volunteering at a raptor rehabilitation facility at a vet school by feeding and handling the resident birds.

Shooting. I'm from Texas.

Colt 1911
Led Baer 1911
3 ar builds (2-5.56 and 1-6.8spc that is my new hunting default)
Kahr PM 40
Winchester lever 30-30
Savage .30-06
12 gauge beretta.

And coffee. Grind French press. The whole 9 yards as well.

Woodworking, though mostly practical stuff. Planning on using my band saw and table saw to make my kid her own Adirondack chair this summer. After that it's probably jewellery boxes from then on.

I also used to play with integrated chips and circuits. Interested in green power generators, and have stuff to build a wind generator from crap in my basement....just never got around to experimenting...

Brewing is my number one hobby and the only one that keeps up full time. But I have a number of others that wax and wane. I like firearms and the range, but at the moment only have my Yugo SKS and haven't been to the range in a long time (ammo and range time is too expensive). I enjoy video games, usually console but PC every once in a while. Sometimes I get into going to the gym regularly, and then get lazy. I used to play a number of instruments (guitar, sax, trumpet, trombone) but haven't done any in years (even thought of selling my old Gibson every time hard times come around but my wife always talks me out of it) and keep meaning to pick at least one of em back up. I was DAMNED good at the sax back in the day, but that's been 15 years since I've played. I used to do a lot of volunteer work, but I got burned out and that's been pretty minimal for a few years. And music. I spend a fair amount of time poking trough smaller record shops looking for old Jamaican vinyl, and 99% of the time I strike out. Same thing with scouring thrift shops for the occasional $2-3 bit of clothing I'd have to pay $100+ for new. Most recently, over the last few weeks I've been spending a lot of time working on learning German. So far I read it and understand it much better than I speak or write it.

Video gaming. Haven't seen much of this answer.

I really enjoy interactive things. TV doesn't hold my interest past 20 minutes or so. As such, I have plenty of time for gaming, brewing, and others.

Can't those be made from fence pickets, using only a miter saw and hammer?

yeah, if you want something that looks like you made it from pieces of a broken box. Probably feel just as comfotable. I strive to make 'art'. Functional, smooth, flowing and comfortable art. The kind that wraps around your spine like it was made for it. Because it was.

Oh, and I do video games too, though old school. Still happy with the original XBOX, and picked up every game in existence when EB was blowing them out for a buck. Still haven't played half of them.

Also play 'Zelda - Link to the past' on my Gameboy when on a treadmill at the gym. it's my way of telling myself 'this really isn't happening to me'. Used to love the old NES games.

yeah, if you want something that looks like you made it from pieces of a broken box. Probably feel just as comfotable.

My bad. I've never seen nor felt a comfortable Adirondack chair. I thought that was the style. Like how farmhouse ales always taste like licking a sweaty horse... to style.

Brewing is number 2, motocross is number 1!

Sent from my GT-I9105P using Home Brew mobile app

My bad. I've never seen nor felt a comfortable Adirondack chair. I thought that was the style. Like how farmhouse ales always taste like licking a sweaty horse... to style.

There's lots of plans out there for what is described as an adirondack chair, but that's cause the real design is under patent. Mos have a square flat back which is really uncomfortable. If you build a real one, you'll know comfort at the campfire.

I love to fish! I've got a 25' fishing boat and spend at least a week a year in the saltwater fishing for Salmon.

Fishing and beer go together naturally dont they? :)

seiku salmon.jpg

Water sports: beer, scuba, kayaking.
None of my business, but I bought a WindPaddle round sail, clipped to a Perc. sea yak: What a rush!!! Try it on a Riot Boogie...another rush!!!

Cars and motorcycles.
i own a 2008 Triumph Speed Triple and love gettin nuts in the summer!
Hobby car is a 1990 Nissan 300zx with a V8 out of 1995 infiniti Q45. Car is fully built (the proof is how little i get to drive it, lol)
Other cars and swaps are too numerous to list. i used to drift a lot and plan to drift this car as well.
IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_5647.jpg

IMAG0448.jpg

I'm told that I have considerable skill in the kitchen. I'll take them at their word. It's the activity from which I derive most joy. Playing my bass is probably second. Since brewing is food preparation for people who like bottles, I'll lump that in with the food prep.

Come February, I get out on the bike. I plan on riding to La Crosse from Madison this spring, and possibly a 150 mi charity ride this July. Cross-country skiing makes living in southern Wisconsin more bearable in the winter, but windchill of -50 stretches the limits of my fortitude. Plus, it makes the snow too dry, and too hard, to get a good stride.

Lifting weights and shooting guns. Pretty simple here.

Computers. It is my day job and my biggest hobby. Beyond that, I love playing computer games, riding my motorcycle, archery, target shooting (firearms), playing guitar, reading, and RC Planes, and camping when I finally get chances to go. Also riding my mountain bike. Mostly for exercise at the moment but I'll do some small, nearby errands with it if I have plenty of time.

I unfortunately have way to hobbies than is manageable, so I am always struggling to make time for the stuff that I would like to do.

I also have way too many hobbies to be able to manage properly... longboarding (skateboarding), cycling, sailing, weight lifting, nordic skiing, kayaking, sewing, quilting, jewelry making, gardening, canning/preserving, board games and photography are the first ones to come to mind. ;)

You reminded me Amie, I have an inflatable 12' kayak that I bought about 6 months ago. I've probably used it half a dozen or more times since I bought it, but since I had moved back to SoCal I haven't had time/money/place to go with it. I want to do some more gardening in the future. I might build a raised garden bed for my parents in their back yard. My mom always had a green thumb but has no place to do it.

Fish, hunt and camp when we can.
Probably my main hobby is casting bullets for many different calibers. Different alloys and different bullet designs, and then finding the perfect load and purpose for each one.
If I have spare time I build furniture.

I like to make everything I can and be self suffient. I think thats why brewing is so fun to me.

Mountain biking and board games.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Back