What's wrong with my hop plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewByBerg

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've planted 5 hops plants within the past month or so, my chinook one took off and was growing with multiple vines, over the past couple weeks I've noticed some of the leaves turning yellow and it looks really weak, are bugs infesting on my plant? I've attached a photo. Let me know what I can do to fix this! Thanks so muchView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1432254568.302573.jpg

I really don't know the answer but, I "feel/ look" like that when I need a beer! Maybe you should poor one for your homies and your hop plant to make it feel better... :mug:

looks like a nutrient deficiency to me. Usually yellowish leaves like that are due to some missing nutrient. I would get some miracle grow or fish meal fertilizer and give it a shot.

I don't know if this is the answer, but I have found that hops planted in pots....even very large pots.....do not grow as well as hops planted in the ground. Here is a picture I just took this morning (May 22nd) of two hop plants on my patio. This is the 4th season for both. The one on the left is Cascade, and it is already up to my second story balcony, and is planted in the ground. The one on the right is Canadian Red Vine......a very prolific but mainly decorative hop, planted in a large pot. The Red Vine is doing well, but not like the Cascade. In years past I have had many hop vines in pots.....they all died after a couple seasons except for the Red Vine.

San Diego 027.jpg

Last edited:
Back