What's up with the IPA fad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if IPA is a "fad" your beer store is about 5 years behind schedule. the new fad is Sours. personally, i don't care for 'em. but they are all the rage in the west.

I have thought and argued that American IPA is a played-out style.

That said, there are some fantastic examples out there. But the vast majority are very average. Just not a lot of new territory in the style to conquer. But they keep trying.

Then along comes a pleasant surprise like Firestone Walker or Ruthless Rye, exceptions which prove the rule: most IPAs are average, ordinary, unbalanced and tiresome.

Beer snobs can be nearly as bad as wine snobs, and that's not a compliment.

Truer words have not been typed. I found myself becoming more than a bit of a snob until I realized how much I love beer, generally speaking, and that my attitude had become a disservice to it. I drink BMC or similar occasionally so I would be a hypocrite too...

Thank you for always being objective Yooper. Your posts regularly give me that reality check feeling. Like- @#$! I should have kept my mouth shut.

I think IPAs are a way for a novice beer drinker/brewer to drink something that they feel some sort of emotional attachment to. That is, they immediately understand what hop flavor/aroma is right from the start. (Overly simplified statement of the night) IPAs are fairly easy for the palette to understand. It's quite recognizable to a novice tongue.

I do believe that many people will enjoy IPAs for many different reasons, though. I brewed my first APA 2 months ago and I really enjoy it. I'm a big malt head, so I produced a very malt forward APA with a relatively low gravity. It suits my needs perfectly. It's the beer I want.

Now, I also think that it takes a more sophisticated palette to be able to pick up on the more subtle flavors and aromas that ambers and milds offer. They are much more gentle on the tongue however there is very little room for error when it comes to more refined/soft beer. I'm not saying that the brewing process is better when it comes to lighter beers but rather that there are no overpowering characteristics to cover up any flaws.

For most of us, we do not have the kind of palette that a sommelier has. Probably more of a good thing than bad. We'd most likely dislike many of our favorite styles and hate ourselves for being able to pick out inconsistencies. I'm happy drinking a variety of beers, but I ultimately agree that this hoppy beer craze is a fad and will probably fade (not completely) within the next few years.

Well then I love my novice tongue that's been DRI king and tasting quality beer for 15 years. I loves me the hops. I'd wear the essential oil as cologne. I'd bathe in my favorite IPA if I didn't like drinking it so much! I'd sleep with my home grown hops if it didn't ruin them.

There is a myriad of hop variations possible if you have the money, time and market. My favorite recipes call for at least 4 oz. That gets expensive.

I think IPAs are a way for a novice beer drinker/brewer to drink something that they feel some sort of emotional attachment to. That is, they immediately understand what hop flavor/aroma is right from the start. (Overly simplified statement of the night) IPAs are fairly easy for the palette to understand. It's quite recognizable to a novice tongue.

I do believe that many people will enjoy IPAs for many different reasons, though. I brewed my first APA 2 months ago and I really enjoy it. I'm a big malt head, so I produced a very malt forward APA with a relatively low gravity. It suits my needs perfectly. It's the beer I want.

Now, I also think that it takes a more sophisticated palette to be able to pick up on the more subtle flavors and aromas that ambers and milds offer. They are much more gentle on the tongue however there is very little room for error when it comes to more refined/soft beer. I'm not saying that the brewing process is better when it comes to lighter beers but rather that there are no overpowering characteristics to cover up any flaws.

For most of us, we do not have the kind of palette that a sommelier has. Probably more of a good thing than bad. We'd most likely dislike many of our favorite styles and hate ourselves for being able to pick out inconsistencies. I'm happy drinking a variety of beers, but I ultimately agree that this hoppy beer craze is a fad and will probably fade (not completely) within the next few years.

As a sommelier can you tell me what the next craze is or should I happily continue to brew what people ask for at my brewpub? Remember it takes 3-5 weeks to brew a batch till I can serve it. That counts from the time I place the grain order. The point is, if the next fad is a sun roasted tomato, potato beer with cilantro and humus with a touch of coriander with an IBU of "0" is the next "fad". Then you'll have to give me 6 weeks.... I'd have to do a test brew, make any adjustment and go from there.

I'd sleep with my home grown hops if it didn't ruin them.

It's called a hops/ sleep pillow and it will definitely give you hoppy dreams- unless you have allergies like mine.... then I wouldn't advise it. Lavender and chamomile work good also.

I don't like hearing about "beer trends". I could care less what the hype is all about, if I like it I drink it. I love hoppy beers and will drink them no matter what the "trend" is. People should stop caring about what everyone else is drinking and brew/drink what you want to. Just my opinion

I love hoppy beers but some of them are almost overwhelming. I would imagine folks that like dark beers could say the same thing. If it helps our local base PX only sells 3 different IPA's, all the rest are brown/dark beer or basic commercial beer. Kind of a bummer but it encourages me to try more of the dark beers and venture out to find other kinds of beer. Cheers.:mug:

if IPA is a "fad" your beer store is about 5 years behind schedule. the new fad is Sours. personally, i don't care for 'em. but they are all the rage in the west.

I agree that I can see Sours becoming the new fad beer

Been contemplating on brewing an IPA for the summer. Just to see if I can brew a type of beer I dont care for and make it tastento my liking. Figured I would decide once I get my Saison off and running.

You may like it. I've never had a commercial saison I liked, but two of my buddies brew them and I love what they make.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't understand the IPA frenzy that's going around. At my local stores there's a ton of IPA's. I go looking for beer I haven't tried for inspiration and because I like to try new beers between homebrews, but it seems all anyone is making is new types of IPAs or spin offs.

I've tried well over 40 different IPAs in my life time and never saw the big deal. Every single one packs pretty much the same experience. Its like dragging my tongue across a dirty carpet floor. After about 2 they become more appealing but I've never enjoyed them and have never been amazed by the taste of one.

I went into my local beverage lounge recently and asked if they had anything new. Said nothing on your pallette, its all IPAs. Long story short, a couple of guys over heard and talked about all their favorite IPAs and how they were "hopheads". I tried everyone they mentioned and did not care for them. I couldn't help but notice while talking to these guys, they would make weird faces every time they took a drink. It was almost like the Miller bitter beer face commercials back in the day ( I think Miller is dirt beer for the record). One was drinking Rogues Yellow Snow IPA which I've had and will pass over any day.

Anyone else anti-IPA or am I truly a minority?

You are a minority. IPA is not a fad, the style has been around longer than any of us has.

You don't like IPA? That's OK. Brew something you like. A lot of people like IPA, and that's what the beer store sells (the craft ones anyways...otherwise its all BMC).

Personally I like a VERY wide range of styles...I don't think there is a single style I will rule out and say "I won't drink that". I used to be way more into malty beers than hoppy beers... but now I stick my head in a bag of hops for inspiration. And not just for IPA's either. I'm working on a recipie for this summer based off of my experience sticking my head in a bag of Amarillo hops.

Speaking of inspiration....don't use what's popular for inspiration (unless you like whats popular). It's way cooler to find something obscure and go with it.

My only complaint about the IPA craze is that it has pretty much eliminated any other style of beer at the local brew pubs. I was into IPA's before they were chic. I like me some hops, though I'm not a huge fan of the big bombs. But I also like variety. We went to our local pub the other night and every single beer on the menu was either an IPA, double IPA, Imperial IPA, or APA. Nothing else at all. It's not quite as bad as going into a bar that has nothing but Bud, Bud Light and Coors Light, but it's disappointing.

Kevin's point is also what bugs me. I've loved IPAs ever since I had my first taste of the original Tupper's Hop Pocket Ale waaaaaaaay back when. But when AHA/Zymurgy comes out with their "Best Beers in America" survey results in a few months, I guarantee that at least 8 of the top 10 beers will be IPA/IIPA. Hard to believe that no one is brewing anything better than this style. Enter a HB competition in the past few years, and I'll bet that the majority of entries are in category 14.

Fortunately I'm a homebrewer and make more than I buy. So out of 7 different homebrews on hand right now, only 1 of them is an IPA. I love variety more than IPA.

The OP must be my brother from another mother. I very much like my Brittish brown and amber ales and try my best to home-brew in the same vein. That being said, i occasionally surprise myself when I find an IPA that I like (Peticolas' Velvet Hammer most recently). Of course IPA's have a history going back some 200 years so if they are a fad they are getting a bit long in the tooth.

when I started brewing my beer, (2 years ago) I did not like IPA's. As of today I have brewed or going to brew 4 batches of IPA's in a row. As long as the IPA is not bitter and overly hoppy, I like it.

Anyone else anti-IPA or am I truly a minority?

I wouldn't say I am anti-IPA but am also part of, what appears to be, the minority the OP is in. And like some others I think he deserves support.

Maltier and darker beers that improve with age - thats my where my interest in beer lies. The hop heads can carry on with their stuff and carry on dominating competitions (at least that is my experience in South Africa) and I am happy for them. Different strokes for different folks.

I'm not generally a hophead, but I have definitely had some IPAs I prefer over others, and as I have gotten I to this hobby, I've found my palette has drastically expanded. I used to not be able to finish a Guinness because it was "too dark" Ha!!
However, I try to keep an open mind to avoid missing out on cool things (potato wine anyone?)and as a result, had an IPA the other day that really floored me. It was called Grape Crusher, by Buffalo Bayou Brewery and it ha Pinot Grigio grapes in it! Wow. The dry white wine taste blended well w the grapefruity hop taste ad made for a sweet-bitter balance.

My point is, IPAs are still not my favorite, but i feel like as homebrewers, dont we owe it to ourselves to try to experiment with every style and make it in a way that we like? I'm gonna try making an IPA with white grape juice in it now, and why not!
There's too many IPAs out there for me to make a blanket stmt that they all suck. I still try them, just not all the time.
Try Lakefront Fixed Gear sometime. It's a very hoppy American Red Ale.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have to add my 2¢..

I enjoy IPA's as well, but not the really BITTER ones...
I feel the best IPA's have an explosion of aroma and a nice balance of hop flavor to malt ...

Heady Topper comes to mind... I would argue the best IPA on the market and, for me, not very bitter, but loaded with hop flavor and aroma!!

Hop flavor & aroma is my judge of a rocking IPA

I love IPA's, but above all, I friggin love beer of just about any style. There are a few out there I could live without, but each has their own likes/dislikes.

Something I learned when I started homebrewing, every beer out there has something for somebody.

The comments that resonate most with me in this discussion are the ones about being big fans of variety. I tried an IPA the other day called "Industrial". Nasty, thick, bad homebrew was my first impression. I never brew the same thing two times in a row. Thats what I love most about beer; always something different.

First off, IPAs are old, so are sours, so are saisons. There really is no new style of beer jumping on the market. The word fad doesn't really apply. They aren't going anywhere either, because they are GOOD. This is why the style is around. I can appreciate nearly every style, so do many people, which is why they have carried on for 100+ years, at least.

Also, most of this is not brewery driven...its driven by the consumer. If you don't like IPAs, dont buy them, but be sure to buy other styles. If the demand is up, breweries will make it. Same goes for the store. They put beer on the shelf that sells. They are a business that needs to succeed.

Finally, it sounds like some people have really crappy bars and beer stores. I suggest finding a nice one that has a lot of variety. Stick with them. My local watering hole is very balanced with nearly every style, about 5-10 beers in each. Even the tap selection varies considerably. My craft beer store is amazing. Whole section for imports of all types, very evenly spread. I'd even say that IPAs are a minority in the store.

And to prove my point about sales driving "fads" the beer manager was screaming at his distributor one day when they said they couldn't get him Mike's Hard Lemonade anymore. This is a nice craft beer store and the distributor looked a little puzzled. The manager explained that one dude buys nearly a case a day of the stuff, let alone anyone else that buys it. He buys what sells.

I agree with OP, IPA's are all over the place. I do like them. Sierra Nevada is nice, but their "torpedo" version is a little too hoppy for me. My local store just carries a few, Sierra, Longhammer, a Belgion IPA, and some Sam Adams...

I really like Stouts better, Guinness drought is wonderful, Of course a pack of 4 is about $8.00.........

Everyone has their own unique pallet. After reading "Hops", part of the brewing elements series, I was surprised to learn that people percieve flavors differently from one another. There is also a certain percentage of the population that hate bitterness. Bitterness is something that humans evolved overtime through culture to enjoy. In some of us our prehistoric defense mechanism against bitterness is still present. You may not care for IPAs, which is completely fine. I personally love them, I'm a big fan of bitterness and the flavors produced by hops. There are lot of people buying IPAs right now, so of course they're going to be produced in mass. There's nothing wrong with you disliking them, but the majority of craft beer drinkers have spoken and they want hops.

Home brewers should not complain about the cost of craft brews. $8 for a four-pack? Just make a clone if its that good!!!

I am decidedly not a hop head, but I must have tried all the "really crappy" IPA's first. No fighting, this is just my opinion. When I say really crappy, I mean one just over the top with one variety of hops use in an IPA. Bleck! I know my tastes have changed over the last year or so, and there are some commercial IPA's I really like. My wife and I split a Samuel Smiths IPA last night, and I was blown away! Perfect, delicate, fragrant, wow!
The SM's IPA wasn't over the top hoppy, actually I needed it to let it warm a little out of the fridge, so the malt front came down just enough to let the bitterness through for balance. I will buy it again. I recently brewed my wife a Alaskan Black IPA clone. (CDA) The initial IBU's were 91, and the hop total including dry hopping was 5.1 oz hops. FYI, my wife is a hop head, so hoppy beers are often around our house. After spending many hours, and many different combinations of hops, I brewed her BIPA, and I really enjoyed it. It really dawned on me, if hops are well balanced with the malt and each other, a beer I will like to brew again, is then, the answer.

Home brewers should not complain about the cost of craft brews. $8 for a four-pack? Just make a clone if its that good!!!

I have one arriving Friday that I'm gonna try, but I'll never be able to re-produce it like an actual Guinness.........

So, no one needs to rehash the "different strokes for different folks" bit at this point, but I did have some other thoughts as I was reading this thread.

A few of the comments have mentioned the high abv of many beers on the market today. This "trend" (if you can call it that) is more obnoxious to me than the popularity of IPAs (which is, in fact, a wonderful thing in my opinion). Don't get me wrong, a well-made barleywine or RIS is a wonderful thing. What I don't like is going into a bar and finding that the "low/average" abv beers are 6.5-7%...and there are all of two of them on the menu. Sometimes I just want to kick back and drink all evening, without falling out of my chair or having to use the girlfriend as a crutch to get home.

But this ties into the conversation in that one of the more recent trends (in both homebrewing and commercial) is the session IPA. This, I think, is a fantastic idea. For one thing, you can drink them all day. For another, the focus tends to be on hop flavor and aroma, and not on bitterness (because heavy bitterness in these low abv beers overwhelms everything else). I'm sure some of the hopheads on this thread have tried Stone's Go To IPA. It's ~4.5%, huge aroma and flavor, and only as bitter on the palate as, say, an APA (and though it's admittedly low on the malt side, it works for this beer). This, I think, is a direction that will appeal to more people than the gigantic imperial IPAs. For one, hop lovers like myself will enjoy it. Non-IPA drinkers might find that the emphasis on flavor and aroma over bitterness is more enjoyable than they found with regular IPAs. And while the DIPAs will stick around (and I count that as a good thing too), it is just nice to be able to go pick up a sixer of IPA and not worry that you'll only be able to find knock-you-down-in-a-half-pint booze.

Of course, that's just my two cents, and you know...different strokes...yada yada

I'm a big fan of IPAs. I think they will be popular for quite some time especially for those who love hops like I do. However, as much as I love a hoppy beer there are always those that over do it or get the combo of hops wrong. Not all IPAs are good. Other times I find I just don't want hops and will go for a different style that night. Variety is the spice of life!

. It really dawned on me, if hops are well balanced with the malt and each other, a beer I will like to brew again, is then, the answer.

I feel the same way, but just didnt know how to say it. I think the more robust flavors of reds or black IPAs allow for this kind of balance better.

One of my former brewbuddies is a hophead, so every few batches we used to do a hoppy one to keep him happy. My favorite experiment was when we took an Irish Red Ale kit, and dumped in several oz of Centennial hops that I had laying around, then dryhopped another oz in secondary. The red flavor backed up the hop taste and made for a beer that both of us enjoyed. I'd brew that again.

The common theme here is tasting something besides overwhelming hop bitterness. Like a savory hot sauce vs. super burning death tasting ghost pepper sauce

I agree that some craftbrew drinkers are hop poseurs who just seem to want the most IBUs cuz its cool, but lets not forget that this is still a MASSIVE step up from six-packs of Lone Star or PBR (FYI i still love PBR, just saying)

If IPAs propel the craft brew movement, so be it. The reality is that easy $$ from a popular style keeps the lights on at small breweries, so they can experiment with more unusual, less wildly popular brews that some of us prefer. This leeway continues to bring new and outside-the-box brews to market that give alot of inspiration to us homebrew-types, so even if you don't like IPAs, just be glad so many hipsters do.

Just repeating what everyone else said... to each his own. IPA's are surely not a "fad" though. They've been around for quite a long time and are her to stay. I'm definitely a hop head, but recently have taken more of liking to moderately strong APA's. I like tasting the hops more than the bitter explosion you get from many IPAs and DIPAs. But I'm a fan of many other styles as well. Belgians, Saisons, Wheats, Stouts, RIS, Barleywines, German Pils (probably my number 2 or 3 on my list of favorite beers). I can enjoy a malt forward ale, but they are lower on my list. Not a huge fan of Scottish Ales, but will enjoy one occasionally. I nice English Bitter or ESB is always good, but again that goes back to my preference for a more bitter/hoppy beer.

I always try to have either an APA or IPA on one tap and something very different on the other. Usually something like a Saison, German Pils, or some sort of Wheat (dunkelweizen, weizenbock, etc).

BUT if we're talking about what's hot right now, I'd say sours. I'm not a fan at all, but I feel like they are really all the rage and making a huge comeback on the craft and home brew scene. I try to dabble here and there, but haven't really taken a big liking.

IPAs though.... they are far from a "Fad". People like them, they sell, they will continue to dominate the market. Not your cup of tea though and that's fine. If we all liked the same thing, this would be a pretty boring world.

I like IPAs. To the extent that they are stylish right now, I find it a good thing, because there are more varieties to try. But I can sympathize with the OP. Even though I like IPA's, I would be disappointed with a store that carried 75% IPAs. Because what I really like about beer is the variety of them. So I tend to gravitate towards the bars and the stores that carry a large number. Because what Im in the mood for today may not be what Im in the mood for tomorrow. So my advice to the OP is find another store to buy beer in.

I love IPAs and they account for about 80% of what I drink. I really don't understand how they can be a "fad". People like what they like and no one is going to drink an IPA just because others are.

I don't understand people that don't like IPAS saying if you drink them your just trying to be "cool". Like the guy comparing it to insanely hot jalapeños. I really love a nice bitter unbalanced hop forward IPA. That's just my taste. I have nothing to prove either! I have 0 friends that drink craft beer. Nobody cares what I drink. Everybody's taste are different. Honestly I don't see how people drink stouts....

Sure I enjoy and brew plenty of other styles. I also really enjoy the subtle flavors of a well done amber. As one poster said I probably can't taste. Why can't people realize everybody taste things different?

So my advice to the OP is find another store to buy beer in.

I'll second this. I'll admit living in a highly populated South Jersey only 15min or so from Philly, we have an abundance of great beer shops, brew pubs, craft beer bars, LHBS, etc to choose from. So I can be picky with where I choose to spend my money. My biggest concern is do I drive an extra 5 minutes to the GOOD bottle shop or just stay "local" and go to the shop that's a 2min walk from my front door. Tough decisions, I know :eek:

This thread is fun - subscribed!

Edit: Oops, I'm already subscribed :D

Back