What's up with my Imperial Stout?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javaslinger

Reaction score
Imperial Stout question... Made one about 6 months ago. It was desperately green at first and it's coming into it's own as time passes. However, despite 7% roasted barley, chocolate wheat malt (4%) and de-bittered black malt (4%) it's almost completely lacking that roast character. Other malts: 67% Maris Otter, 4% Aromatic, 4% Red Malt, 4% Pale Wheat Malt, 3% Special B, 2% Caramel Wheat, and 2% Biscuit. 1oz Pacific Gem at 60 min and 1oz Pacific Jade at 10min. Dry English Ale yeast starter.. 1.10 OG and 1.022 FG for a 10.5% ABV. Is it possible that will eventually come out with yet more time? It is thick and luscious and black as night with a terrific dark beige creamy head, however just don't taste any roast.

I have no idea but for comparison my Russian Imperial stout:
Rahr 2 row = 47.1%
Maris Otter = 42.4%
Special B = 4.7%
Carafoam = 2.4%
Chocolate = 2.4 %
Roasted Barley = 1.2%

4 ounces of oak chips

This one had a very roasty character using less than half of the roasty malts that yours has. It took almost 6 months for the flavors to blend, before that it was pretty harsh.

Mash pH and IBUs are likely factors. Also consider that the choc wheat and especially the debittered black malt will not produce pronounced roast flavors.

I have no idea but for comparison my Russian Imperial stout:
Rahr 2 row = 47.1%
Maris Otter = 42.4%
Special B = 4.7%
Carafoam = 2.4%
Chocolate = 2.4 %
Roasted Barley = 1.2%

4 ounces of oak chips

This one had a very roasty character using less than half of the roasty malts that yours has. It took almost 6 months for the flavors to blend, before that it was pretty harsh.

Hard to comment here without (any) information regarding the oak chips, but I’d guess you are getting a lot of tannins there, thus the roast character. That grain bill seems awfully light for a RIS otherwise (imo).

Hard to comment here without (any) information regarding th e oak chips, but I’d guess you are getting a lot of tannins there, thus the roast character. That grain bill seems awfully light for a RIS otherwise (imo).

Small alterations from a recipe that I found online. irrc, it won awards. It was not what I would call light. I did miss my OG and added 1 lb of light DME. OG was 1.101. It was very woody to begin with. I described the taste at bottling "like drinking a tree". But with age it mellowed into a very nice beer. It ended up on the high side of 10% abv. The oak might have been my addition. I can't remember if there were any in the original recipe. I did research and found that someone used quite a bit more oak than I ended up using. It probably did add tannins but IMO that was a good thing..

Small alterations from a recipe that I found online. irrc, it won awards. It was not what I would call light. I did miss my OG and added 1 lb of light DME. OG was 1.101. It was very woody to begin with. I described the taste at bottling "like drinking a tree". But with age it mellowed into a very nice beer. It ended up on the high side of 10% abv. The oak might have been my addition. I can't remember if there were any in the original recipe. I did research and found that someone used quite a bit more oak than I ended up using. It probably did add tannins but IMO that was a good thing..

Sorry, meant to say light on roast/dark grains (not abv).

Back