What's the recommended length for a keg jumper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinterWarlock

Reaction score
I'm putting together some jumpers so I can start doing pressure transfers and I'm undecided on the ideal length. 2-3 ft sounds good, what are y'all going with?

TLDR: It doesn't matter that much, a couple feet should be fine. I just pull my an EVA barrier serving tube to use for my closed transfer when needed.

Long version:
That seems reasonable. In my limited experience, I transfer with a VERY modest pressure differential. So if I spund up to 30psi, then cold crash it should end up at around 12psi...
Then I purge the receiving keg to 12psi and check the spunding gauge on the kegmenter.
Then I pressurize the kegmenter to 13psi, and attach the jumper to both.
Beer may flow modestly but often requires me increasing the pressure to get flow.

Thanks man, I'll give it a go! Pretty stoked on the fermenting in kegs now. The only downside is not being able to see the fermentation.

fwiw, if one is in a hurry, find the widest bore tubing you can use with your setup, as line resistance does matter for more than just dispensing, and if one uses glass fermentors low pressure is important. I use 3/8" vinyl for racking to (StarSan purged) kegs, as it slips over the end of my SS racking cane on one end and over the threads of an MFL ball lock QD at the other, have the fermentor at bench height with the keg on the floor, and push with barely 1 psi indicated, yet the beer moves along quite rapidly :)

Cheers!

As short as possible. Mine's about 150mm (6"). I'm probably being un-necessarily paranoid but I worry about the light and O2 exposure as beer transfers through the line. My jumper is just long enough to connect the two kegs sitting side-by-side. I started out doing closed loop transfers (Ferment Keg up high, Serving Keg low, connect liquid to liquid with SK at slightly lower pressure to start a siphon, then connect gas to gas to balance pressure) but found it easier to just push beer out with bottled CO2 with a spunding valve on the serving keg.

Back