What's the best way to get fermented Beer from my secondary vessel(Glass Carboy) into

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeezus

Reaction score
I've got a DIPA near ready for Kegging. What's the best way to do this? Do I just siphon it in? Or is there a more technical method? Any ideas?

A sterile syphon starter works great.

SterileSiphonStarter2.jpg

As mentioned a siphon or you can add a valve to your fermenter for next time and just have to sanitize a hose to drain it into the keg, that's what I recently switched to. Siphons are just a pain IMO.

Photo%20Aug%2010%2C%2011%2018%2059%20PM%20%281%29.jpg

Oh, and this hasn't been mentioned, but make sure you have a hose that will reach the bottom of the keg to minimize splashing (see: none) on transfer.

Don't want to oxidize your brew.

I started out with an auto siphon, broke it, bought another, broke that, then went to regular siphons pushing with CO2.

I found trying to do a closed system was too complicated and troublesome for me, and I also thought it was a waste of CO2, so I went to a more rudimentary setup.

I now use a stainless racking cane, and to start the siphon, I use a sanitized turkey baster, and breathe in to create the vacuum and start the siphon, then once the beer begins to flow, I remove the turkey baster, and then put the tubing end wherever it needs to go.

I find that with racking, I prefer my setup to be simple. We all choose where to complicate things and where to add gadgets, this is just one area where I went back to the basics, and it has worked well for me.

I would recommend trying some different methods and see what sticks with you and fits with your style the best.

+1 for using a closed system transfer with co2, a carboy cap, and racking cane or tubing like @gnef

Back