Whats that smell in the bucket after bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jplowe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm new to homebrewing but love beer. My first batch is a red/amber ale that is bottle conditioning right now. Before bottling, I took a whiff and it smelled like great beer and looks awesome but had a hint of skunkiness. It was a pleasant smell but reminded me a bit of Old Style/Milwaukee/Hams sort of light American Beer. After bottling was complete and i washed out the buckets with PBW, it still smelled but now I believe it smells like the cascade hops added in 60min and last 15 on the boil. Do you believe it was hop aroma I was smelling in the bucket or will my beer end up a skunky mess?

You transferred from primary to another bucket to bottle, right? And which bucket smells funny to you?

I siphoned it into a bottling bucket prior to bottling but it was the fermentation bucket that had the smelled after cleaning.

Don't worry.... The smell of hops in your fermentation bucket isn't dictating the taste of your beer. And hops aroma is a good thing anyway.

If you don't like the smell in your bucket, try soaking it for a day or so.

I quit using PBW long ago.....over priced "specialty" item IMO. Oxyclean works great in my carboys.

Don't worry.... The smell of hops in your fermentation bucket isn't dictating the taste of your beer. And hops aroma is a good thing anyway.

If you don't like the smell in your bucket, try soaking it for a day or so.

I quit using PBW long ago.....over priced "specialty" item IMO. Oxyclean works great in my carboys.

I just started using a PBW recipe I found on here, 96oz Red devil TSP, 45oz fragrance free dry dish soap and just about 6lbs of oxyclean free. Really awesome recipe, and it made like 15# for $25 or so.

I love the smell of my buckets. I sometimes put them over my head in the kitchen until my wife makes fun of me.

Latest posts

Back