Whats that God Awful STENCH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robar

Reaction score
8 days into the ferment I opened up the primary to take a Grav reading on my DFH 90 min IPA clone and the smell that hit about took my breath away. It smelled like piss in a bottle after about a week in the sun.

This is 90% pils, 10% Amber malt and a whole lot of hops. I'm not real sure what happened, but this stuff stinks to high heaven. What happened? Ever since it started fermenting it had a bad odor, but I asumed that maybe it was the pilsner or something.

I did pour it onto a yeast cake, but the beer that came off it same day didn't smell like that. What ever happened I think it is going to get dumped. I've brewed it twice and failed twice. Somehow I don't think I am meant to brew this beer. Better stick to my stouts and ambers, they turn out way better then this sun baked donkey piss.

Don't dump it, give it time!!! The first time I brewed a beer with sorachi ace it tasted off... it was just green... give it time. The only thing you will lose is some space in a carboy if it is bad, and if it is good you'll be happy you waited!!!

It sounds like a lager fermenting to me, so I was a little surprised to see DFH 90 Minute.

Don't toss it! All sorts of nasty things seem to happen during ferments, and then those things go away or become wonderful after a few weeks or months. Let it be and see what it becomes.

TL

don't toss it until you know for sure it sucks. give it time. odors change, mellow, and may not be any indication of taste (sure, aroma is part of taste, but they two can still be quite different on their own).

Go investigate. Try to match the smell based on books you have or info online (such as John Palmer's How to Brew) and see if you can figure out if there is a problem. Also, next time you get a gravity reading, give it a taste and look for any off flavors, etc. First try to figure out if something is wrong, and if something is wrong, try to figure out how to not have it happen next time.

I did a DFH clone not too long ago and it had a weird smell. After kegging it I thought I might end up tossing it. Tasted fine, just had a really putrid smell (like vomit).

Turned out to be fantastic. Beautiful color, nice creamy head and great floral aroma with a strong but smooth bitterness. I'm already planning on brewing it again in about another month or so.

Wow
I wish I would have waited. I ended up dumping it in the wee hours of the morning. Somehow though I think it was destined to be a science project. When I popped the lid off that bucket the smell that hit caused the auto gag reflex. It was pretty danged revolting. I haven't had anything that smelled that bad turn out good.

It was more than likely co2 that made you gag and took your breath away, try opening an empy corny when it is full of c02 and take a big wiff, it'll do the same thing. sorry for the loss.

Cheers

iamjonsharp said:
Go investigate. Try to match the smell based on books you have or info online (such as John Palmer's How to Brew) and see if you can figure out if there is a problem. Also, next time you get a gravity reading, give it a taste and look for any off flavors, etc. First try to figure out if something is wrong, and if something is wrong, try to figure out how to not have it happen next time.

Grav was at a 1.030 Taste was watery thin could really detect the hops and it was hard to define good or bad taste with that awful smell. I have John's book and none of the things really match the smell. I think it was some sort of infection but have no idea what kind.

wop31 said:
It was more than likely co2 that made you gag and took your breath away, try opening an empy corny when it is full of c02 and take a big wiff, it'll do the same thing. sorry for the loss.

Cheers

Could be I guess, not sure. However I will take the recomendations of the general consensus and leave the next beer that smells bad alone to see what happens instead of dumping it.

I dunno. I'm all for being patient, but if I popped the airlock and the smell actually made me gag, I can't say I'd let it hang around.

A hopped-out-the-@ss, high alcohol beer like that has about as much chance of getting infected as I do levitating over my house.

I've said it before...for every gallon of beer that gets thrown out for being truly infected, 10 gallons get pitched for being under suspicion.

Fermeting beer smells even worse when there is a ton of yeast duking it out over available sugars. Tossing onto a yeast cake will generate smells like the inside of a diaper. I have a simple ale in the basement that makes my butt pucker when I take a whiff.

Sorry about your loss. But if you follow a simple rule of seeing it through until bottling, you're less likely to toss out an otherwise god brew.

DFH90...that is sad...

BierMuncher said:
DFH90...that is sad...

15_weeping.gif

I've had a few brews that stunk to wherever and back. You know what, THEY were the good ones... Sorry for your loss... I've opened up my front door one time to a smell so rancid you'd think something died. I own a home. It stunk at the front door.... That hefewiezen ROCKED when it was done! SWMBO wasn't happy for a few days over that 5 gallon fart. :drunk:

Now not only am I saddened, I feel like a idiot! Though through all of this there is a possitive.

I have learned that stinky beer isn't bad unless it's breading it's own species. I am a new brewer and don't know any other brewers so I'm basicly learning as I go. I have however learned from this very costly mistake.

Thanks for the info, lord only knows how many stinky beers I would have dumped before I got lazy and let a stinker just sit and then find out it was good.

Robar said:
8 days into the ferment I opened up the primary to take a Grav reading on my DFH 90 min IPA clone and the smell that hit about took my breath away. It smelled like piss in a bottle after about a week in the sun.

This is 90% pils, 10% Amber malt and a whole lot of hops. I'm not real sure what happened, but this stuff stinks to high heaven. What happened? Ever since it started fermenting it had a bad odor, but I asumed that maybe it was the pilsner or something.

I did pour it onto a yeast cake, but the beer that came off it same day didn't smell like that. What ever happened I think it is going to get dumped. I've brewed it twice and failed twice. Somehow I don't think I am meant to brew this beer. Better stick to my stouts and ambers, they turn out way better then this sun baked donkey piss.

Robar,

Were you using a real lager yeast? If so, I've known some strains to have a bit of a sulphury smell, or a subtle "pukey" smell during primary ferment. I ran taste tests upon encountering that, found nothing overly questionable about the taste, and took those batches to completion successfully.

OTOH, did your beer smell/taste like a fortified version of boiled cabbage? If so, that sounds like a coliform infection.

Lager yeasts seem to be less forgiving than ale yeasts, especially when fermented at the same temperatures as ale yeasts. That's why I only ever did them during winter (cold basement) -conditions in which most species of spoilage bacteria can't function ;-)

Papillon said:
Robar,

Were you using a real lager yeast? If so, I've known some strains to have a bit of a sulphury smell, or a subtle "pukey" smell during primary ferment. I ran taste tests upon encountering that, found nothing overly questionable about the taste, and took those batches to completion successfully.

OTOH, did your beer smell/taste like a fortified version of boiled cabbage? If so, that sounds like a coliform infection.

Lager yeasts seem to be less forgiving than ale yeasts, especially when fermented at the same temperatures as ale yeasts. That's why I only ever did them during winter (cold basement) -conditions in which most species of spoilage bacteria can't function ;-)

I'll warn you now it's a long post

No it was an ale yeast. There was a slowed ferment for whatever reason, but I have now learned I jumped the gun on this beer.

The taste was watery kinda sweet. - ferment was not near done at 1.03? I don't remember what it was, ten thirty something.

Hops didn't stand out much either. I had a real hard time tasting anything over the smell.

This is what I know and have since learned...

I dumped it onto a full yeast cake. Lots of yeast can make lots of bad smell! I had pretty vigorous fermentation for a while then it died off to near nothing so I decided it was time for a hydrometer reading which showed it was way far from done. I suspect temperature, but honestly don't know. I brought it out of the basement so it could get warmer three days before taking the reading.

The only good thing to come of this was the education. You see I had another stinky beer perking away stinking up my whole house that was about to get the frustration dump as well...

I made another batch of Air Pirate. The first fermented with a sweet fruity smell that was out of this world! I pitched WLP011 European straight from the vial, no prob next day perking away. However on the second batch after 28 hours I still had no visible activity and was getting nervous. So the only thing I had on hand was a started WLP002 English so I pitched that on it as well.

Next day it was going slow but was starting to push a bubble up now and then. By day 4 it was clogging the air lock and stinking up the house!! By day five it still stunk to high heaven but hadn't shown any activity. I didn't think it would be worth keeping, but after the 90 min thing I had to wait it out.

It sat for seven days in the fermenter but only bubbled for two. I needed the bucket so I racked it over to a glass carboy. When I popped the lid it did smell a bit but not to bad. After a few seconds even that was gone. As I racked the fruity smell from the first batch presented itself and brought a smile to my face. The stench only returned when the yeast cake was exposed to the air.

I now know and believe you should never dump anything unless it grows it's own legs and starts to crawl away. This whole thing may have cost me a great beer, but it saved countless others and made me a more knowledgable brewer. Sometimes we have to pay for our education. - Robar

PS Edited for grammatical errors

Robar said:
I now know and believe you should never dump anything unless it grows it's own legs and starts to crawl away. This whole thing may have cost me a great beer, but it saved countless others and made me a more knowledgable brewer. Sometimes we have to pay for our education. - Robar

Very well said!

Glad to find this post as I sample my puke/pee/diaper smelling IIPA. The taste is pretty good - tons of hops, with maybe a tiny hint of watery puke, but the smell - damn, that's pukey.

Not that I was going to toss it quite yet, but I think I can get some sleep now!

I suppose once it's actually done expressing CO2, it will smell just great!

Robar - thank you for your educational lesson. If this beer turns out fine, I should send you a few for thanks!

I am impressed that you found this post. I was reading it myself, and it wasn't until I saw yours did I realize it was from November. Way to search the posts new guy! Most people just ask questions without reading squat......

mrk305 said:
I am impressed that you found this post. I was reading it myself, and it wasn't until I saw yours did I realize it was from November. Way to search the posts new guy! Most people just ask questions without reading squat......

Amen! Kudos to the newbie:ban:

dude... my wife called someone a newb the other day...
i had not idea she had ever even heard the term...
too many years of online gaming for this kid...
oh if I had only been home brewing back in my Ultima Online days...
those hours of power macro-ing would have been more enjoyable.

rabidgerbil said:
dude... my wife called someone a newb the other day...
i had not idea she had ever even heard the term...
too many years of online gaming for this kid...
oh if I had only been home brewing back in my Ultima Online days...
those hours of power macro-ing would have been more enjoyable.

Not to hijack the thread... 5 years of Everquest here... diddn't drink much beer at all. Mostly Mountain Dew, and my diet consisted of fancy sausage type hot dogs, cold from the fridge acquired during load zones... ahhh.... the good old days...

Latest posts

Back