What's On Your 'Honeybrew List'?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskana

Reaction score
I thought I would ask all of you homebrewers out there who have a kind and loving significant other what she (or he) wants you to brew for her (or him)? Is it usually something that is the polar opposite of what you prefer to brew or do you have a SO who is in alignment with your brewing preferences? Do they want you to make that BMC clone that tastes so much like their favorite beer down at the watering trough or do they want you to emulate their favorite 'hoppy' Sierra Nevada style IPA?

I'll start off by saying my wife wants me to brew her an American Style Hefeweizen because she doesn't like the clove/bannana that is so prevalent in the classic German style. As for myself, I would prefer to brew a DIPA but we all have to keep the SO happy so we can keep pursuing our favorite (or one of our favorite) hobbies. And since any brewing is good brewing I will happily oblige.

(Oh, and I am officially coining the term 'Honeybrew List' to define those beers that (in my case) she wants me to brew for her.) :)

my wife wanted a lambic frambrious until she found out ti could be 2 years till it was good. I think she is waiting on my Porter de' Lite to come again next year.

I just did mine. She wanted a sweet stout so I brewed a milk stout. It is a little too sweet for my taste, but very nice. I prefer a dryer stout but this is very tasty.

Mine just tried the first beer I've seen her drink in like 5 years. Stone Ruination IPA. I'm like " Are you kidding me?". I learn something new everyday about this one.

Mine asked for a porter - it's in the fermenter now.

Next she wants me to try to do a Chimay blue-label.

I like this chick. :)

that's BS!!!

lol my wife tried my dunkelweizen (first brew a couple weeks ago) and I was surprised. She hates beer, so I get to thinking, maybe she will start trying now that I am brewing. So I asked her tonight to try another. I was going to crack a impatient bottle of the holiday brew, she wont come near it, shes a wine-o, anyone up for a wife swap!:rockin:

my honey brew list....................big fat 0

Not necessarily in any order:

1. hefeweizens, flavored or not

2. BierMuncher's SWMBO Slayer Blonde Ale (see recipes section, Belgians)

3. A recipe called Boston Plus Ale

Mine goes for balanced ambers and Irish reds. She's not a huge fan of hoppy aroma, and the IBU needs to be in line with the sweetness. She also loves Avery's Salvation, so a clone of that is definitely on the list.

She had me do a Kolsch which I really never thought about trying. Turned out to be one of the best beers I brewed this year. Even my hop head friends loved it. She loves most of the holiday style ales I have done. Wants me to do a German style wheat and an Irish stout next year. Wow... I've got 14 batches this year. Just can't let her see a total $$$. :)

my wife wanted me to make a pumpkin which i still have on tap.. i did a double brew day a couple weeks ago with an oatmeal stout for her and a scotch ale for me, both in the better bottles now looking forward to them in a month or so

Last weekend I just made her a penta-chocolate milk stout. Right now she has more going than I do but my stuff is all aging. ;) Next on deck for her may be a peanut butter stout but not until after I finish my x-mas brewing...I also brew her wheat beers in the summer and spring.

Mine has asked for raspberry, cherry and blueberry fruit beers, I think the raspberry turned out the best so far, used a cream ale kit so it came out light and i even liked it as a lawnmower beer. She seems to like the belgian beers I've had her try so I'm thinking of doing an abbey ale or maybe even a trippel

My Rosemary Rye Saison. ( This was the first time she ever asked me if I really brewed a beer, and I think it was the turning point in her willingness to try what I brew).

Oatmeal Stout (Just finished)

My summer ale that I made with Sorachi, Nelson Sauvin and Citra, fermented with Kolsch yeast.

And to my surprise my Dunkleweizen?

My wife doesn't like beer. If I could brew Mountain Dew, I would.

I hear ya! My husband doesn't like beer either, but loves Mt. Dew. I am thinking of brewing up something with Mt. Dew, like a Mt. Dew Cream ale, for his birthday.

I hear ya! My husband doesn't like beer either, but loves Mt. Dew. I am thinking of brewing up something with Mt. Dew, like a Mt. Dew Cream ale, for his birthday.

It won't work. In my experience, Mountain Dew drinkers are very picky about their soda. My wife won't even drink Mellow Yellow!

My girlfriend loves beer, and I am so fortunate, though often her ideas need to be reeled-in a little. She always wants to add spices to styles that I do not think would benefit from them. However, I can't really complain. We just made a coffee stout together that should be ready to drink soon, and from what I tasted from the bottom of the bottling bucket, it should be great. I'm a lucky man.

My last one was a Strawberry Blond that has a similarity to Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blond. She's been wanting that for a while since we can't buy the Pete's version anymore. I brewed this yesterday.

beerloaf

My wife pretty much only likes beers with continental hops and preferably on the lighter side of color. She loved my CAP but my steam beer was pushing it.

Thanks for all the excellent responses, folks! I'm glad this is a hobby that our better halves can get enjoyment out of as well and it's been really interesting to see what their preferences are. For women, fruit inspired beers/beverages seem to be popular but there were a few that really surprised me like the stout/porter/kolsch requests. Oddly enough my wife doesn't like any fruit in her beers.. she gets pissed when she requests a 'Hef No Lemon' and the bartender forgets to leave it out!

I'll be showing my wife this thread as I'm sure she'll be interested in what what the other ladies (and men) are requesting. :)

I got a good one. Currently waiting on a vanilla porter, malted milk stout, irish red, wheat, and a chocolate stout. She loves it all!

Unless I figure out how to make beer taste like Puckers and Sprite... I have no honeybrew list.

I suggest making some ginger ale and seeing if she likes Dark and Stormies

Excellent suggestion, rockfish42. Dark & Stormies are wonderful. Got a friend who brewed his own excellent ginger beer (drier and less sweet than ginger ale) and made his Dark & Stormies from that. If any of you haven't had one yet, by all means do so soon. :)

For the last 5 years or so, I've been into really highly hopped beers, while he was all about malty beers. I made lots of beers for him, mostly my Fat Squirrel clone and Dead Guy clone (recipes in the database, under my avatar).

But for the last year or two, he's been getting into hoppy beers also. So, I make about 75% hoppy beers with every fourth brew being something different.

The last thing I made for him was a beer I'm calling "Chaos", modeled after Short's Pandemonium. He wanted earthy/citrusy hops combined so I did a cascade/fuggles beer with a glacier/cascade hopping. He loves it.

We did a Heather Ale a few months ago. It's okay, but is much improved if you add a small amount of honey just before drinking. Mostly she disliked very bitter and heavily-hopped beers. Since I can always get one of those, in bottle or on tap anywhere around here, I don't bother making them.

Something gluten free, the poor dear. Celiac disease blows.

But with a 6er of good gluten free beer costing $10, I am happy to start trying recipes.

Once I finally get my kegerator built, my Hellfire Porter will be on-tap year round.

My wife will try anything I make but doesn't drink a ton of it. She is working her way through a masters degree anyway. Then the kids. She likes bringing my beer for her friends to drink. Keeps her interested and keeps the stock moving so that's cool. She asked for mead and cider. I am not really into mead. I might make a mini batch for her. Made the cider though.

My wife loves Centennial Blonde and requests it be on tap all the time. She has liked every beer that I've made so far, but loves the centennial blonde. My hefes are a close 2nd along with my OktoberFAST.

I just got a request to brew the clone recipe of souther tier's creme brulee RIS that was in BYO from my sweetie! She rocks my socks!!!:rockin:

Her favorite beer of mine is my 16.3% Imperial Stout. She also loves my DIPA's.

Latest posts

Back