Whats going on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbass1968

Reaction score
Ive been a recreational brewer. I ve had some that have been total duds and some that have been really really good. My latest was a northern brewer marblehead lager extract kit. I had it in the primary for two weeks then in secondary for 2 weeks. Tillt hydrometer reading stopped at around 1.010. kegged and carbonated. my manual hydrometer came out to 1.008. Im getting a residual "sweetness" maybe a little yeasty flavor that most of my not so good brews get. Im not very good with the flavor profile. I brewed the same marblehead all grain that I loved. I used the Conical ss fermenter. at around 60 degree temp throughout fermentation process. when I moved it to keg (obviously a little disturbing/shaking happened), there was more bubbling from the airlock. should I have let it set more?

Ive been a recreational brewer. I ve had some that have been total duds and some that have been really really good. My latest was a northern brewer marblehead lager extract kit. I had it in the primary for two weeks then in secondary for 2 weeks. Tillt hydrometer reading stopped at around 1.010. kegged and carbonated. my manual hydrometer came out to 1.008. Im getting a residual "sweetness" maybe a little yeasty flavor that most of my not so good brews get. Im not very good with the flavor profile. I brewed the same marblehead all grain that I loved. I used the Conical ss fermenter. at around 60 degree temp throughout fermentation process. when I moved it to keg (obviously a little disturbing/shaking happened), there was more bubbling from the airlock. should I have let it set more?

10-14 days is the general rule of thumb around here for when to check for final gravity. You're usuing a tilt so from everything I've read they are pretty accurate.

Something to keep in mind is you can always verify with a hydrometer. Also, beer does take time to develop...a beer in the keg a week will not taste the same 3-4 weeks later. I've found my beers really hit their stride after a month in the keg...which I know is heresy to some but young beer is just not the flavor profile I'm looking for.

10-14 days is the general rule of thumb around here for when to check for final gravity. You're usuing a tilt so from everything I've read they are pretty accurate.

Something to keep in mind is you can always verify with a hydrometer. Also, beer does take time to develop...a beer in the keg a week will not taste the same 3-4 weeks later. I've found my beers really hit their stride after a month in the keg...which I know is heresy to some but young beer is just not the flavor profile I'm looking for.
Thank you so much....I appreciate the feedback. You talked me off the ledge.

Back