What's better...pin or ball?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaneritz

Reaction score
Hey everyone I want to start kegging. What is better ball or pin? Can you use both on the same CO2 system? I understand that pin are old school kegs, I want to buy some used but don't want to buy something I will regret. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It comes down to preference really. There are size differences between the two pin locks are shorter but a a little wider. Balls are taller and thinner, so the size difference may impact your judgement on which is "better". I would recommend purchasing all of one type just for ease of use the hookups are different and if you have 3 taps pin and one ball you'll have to wait until the ball is empty to replace with another ball. Thats a hassle you prolly don't want. Balls seem easier for me to find cheap on craigslist so that is what I'm going with.

Pins don't have pressure relief valves in them like the balls do but, that's easy enough to fix if you find some pins for a good price.

What's better?

Wendy's or Burger King?
Ford or Chevy?
Polaris or Yamaha?
Fender or Gibson?
Paper or plastic?
Marlboro or Camel?
Classical or classic rock?
Levi's or Wranglers?
Ball or pin lock?

Kinda see where I'm going with this?

:ban:

What's better?

Wendy's or Burger King?
Ford or Chevy?
Polaris or Yamaha?
Fender or Gibson?
Paper or plastic?
Marlboro or Camel?
Classical or classic rock?
Levi's or Wranglers?
Ball or pin lock?

That was easy for me ;)

Pin locks are cheap, but they're fat and can limit the # of kegs you can fit in your kegerator.

Ball locks are pricier but skinnier/taller, so you can often fit more of them in your kegerator.

If I had a bigger kegerator I'd use pin locks and save some cash. But my kegerator barely fits 3 ball locks and would only fit 2 pin locks, so ball locks it is.

I have both pin and ball locks. I like the pressure release valve on the ball locks but prefer the quick connect posts on the pins.

I have both pin and ball locks. I like the pressure release valve on the ball locks but prefer the quick connect posts on the pins.

Good point, the manual pressure relief valve on ball locks is convenient for clearing the headspace. I think you can buy replacement for the pin lock relief valves, but that's more $ and effort.

Old wooden chopstick on the "gas in" post works well. In fact, I keep a chopstick right in my keezer..

I accidently bought a couple pin locks one time. My other kegs were all ball locks. I had problems with the pin locks maintaining a good connection if the lines got bumped. As far as the pressure relief, included with the order was a little plastic cap that you pushed over the valve to vent. It worked fine but I lost it and just used whatever pointing object was close by.

The connection issue I was having with the pin locks doesn't seem common but I still prefer ball locks. I ended up selling the pinlocks and bought ball locks as replacements. To much hassle swapping the disconnects all the time between two different systems.

Thanks. I just want to head down a road with one type of keg and not mess around with parts for both. I can get pin lock kegs for $40 used and can't seem to find any ball lock used. Brand new they are like $109 by me, and I want to beef up the amount I brew and buy 1/2 dozen but don't want to pay that much $ but also don't want to buy crap.

As a brand new kegger myself I just went with what everyone I knew did. They all seemed to do ball lock, I just figured they knew more than me and did that... haha

so far no problems, some guy on crags list by me sells them rebuilt for like $50, I am in the Orlando area.

Back