What's a good fridge for lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been trying to find a good second-hand fridge for lagering. I don't want another full-size fridge (already have one of those, my wife would kill me if I brought another one to the basement), I just want a little half-size, all-fridge-no-freezer one big enough for a 6.5-gallon carboy with airlock on top.

I've responded to several online ads from people selling used half-size fridges, but so far, none of them have been quite tall enough. The carboy doesn't quite fit.

What's the best model fridge for lagering a carboy of beer? What's a make/model that you know to be just the right size without being too big? Is there a standard one that everybody uses and I just haven't come across it yet?

In case anyone is interested, I ended up going with a small chest freezer. It's wide enough for the carboy to sit on the floor without hitting the "hump" for the compressor, but there's not much extra space beyond that, which is exactly what I was looking for. And it's tall enough to handle the carboy, with an airlock attached. This will likely eventually end up becoming my "lagering fridge/2-tap keezer" someday down the road.

Latest posts

Back