What would you name this beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremyjudd

Reaction score
I got a little "creative" yesterday with an extract brew.

I went to the nearest LHBS (Winston-Salem, about 30 minutes) and picked up the ingredients for an English Bitter Ale, thinking i had Fuggle and Golding hops in the freezer.

Got home, and nope. Cascade, Willamette, Amarillo and Nugget.

So, rather than the intended recipe, I came up with this:

3 lbs light dme

1 lb amber dme

1/2 0z willamette

1/2 0z cascade

1/2 pound simpsons special grain

1/2 pound caramel 60

Safali S-04 yeast.

It's fermenting away as we speak....

What would you call this brew?

When did you add the hops--all at 60 min? Even if you added at 60 your IBU's will be pretty low (I get around 21-22 in BeerSmith). You might try dry hopping this in the primary after fermentation is complete if you want a little more hop aroma and bitterness. More Cascades would be nice but any of what you listed would be good.

Throw an ounce or more in a sanitized nylon bag (1 gal paint strainers work great and are cheap and easy to find at any hardware/ paint store). You can throw a sanitized stainless steel washer or marbles in there to weight it down and I tie sanitized (unused :D) fishing line to the end so I can fish it out after about 7 days.

Lols. Alzheimers Ale. I like that.

In response to Soperbrew and your comment about low IBU's - dry hopping is a good idea. I've got an ounce of Cascade left (pellets). I'll chuck an ounce in and try your fishing line idea to get it back out. That's a good idea. Last time I dry hopped I had to bend a piece of wire to poke around in my carboy until I hooked my hop bag.

I added half an ounce of cascade at start of boil, half an ounce at 20 min and then finished with Willamette at 2 min.

Since you used s-04 and Simpsons malt with Cascade hops you've got aspects from both sides of the pond. I'd call it....Revolutionary Ale.

haha. Toby Keith's Boot..... it's the American way!

Revolutionary might be fitting. I'll have to see if it tastes like war....

(no, i don't know what that means either)

Toby Keith's redneck BMC yellow piss swillin a$$ is not allowed anywhere NEAR my brew...just sayin' :D

I like the RevolutionALe

Back