What would you call a higher gravity Northern English Brown?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timewasted

Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed this recipe, from the recipe database.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/nut-brown-ag-30187/

I ended up switching to Maris Otter as the base malt and using S-04. For some silly reason, when I put it in my bucket to ferment and added the yeast, I topped up to 5 gallons instead of the expected 5.5. (OG 1.062, instead of the expected 1.054). I suppose I could go back and add water, but now I am curious how this will turn out. I think I am going to leave it be and just come out with a higher gravity brown. The question is, what would you call that? I know in the 1800, browns were often higher gravity than they are now, so historically it would be OK, but according to the BJCP style guides I am lost. Thoughts?

Call it Historic Style Northern English Brown Ale- Or 1800 Northern English Brown?. Unless your entering it into competition,why worry about it? Usually most advice is to leave it once it starts ferementing,Im not shure if it will hurt it to add more or not-I dont see why it would if it hasnt started yet.

I like 1800 NEB. You are right, I have no plans to enter this, so it doesn't really matter. It was more of a curiosity thing for me.

Don't add more water, just leave it alone to ferment and then enjoy it.

English styles went down in strength once they started being taxed based on OG and ABV% (higher of either meant higher amount paid in taxes). Which is why you see so many English styles with lower OG/ABV's. A good amount of what I brew is of higher strength than the style. Even though I'm brewing styles from the British Isles, they're stronger than most examples. :rockin:

IMO, as long as your brew comes out good, I wouldn't worry about it.

Brown Ales died out at the end of the 18th century and didn't appear again until around 1900. In a totally different form - 18th century Brown Ale was brewed from 100% brown malt. 20th-century versions were mostly pale malt and sugar.

The only dark beers brewed in 19th-century Britain were Porter and Stout.

Back