What would you brew on a snow day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReuFroman

Reaction score
O Colorado got it with 12" of snow overnight and the kids are home and I'm looking around the house to see what I could brew up today. What would you brew on a snow day? I've been playing on beersmith making recipes, got a fun recipe?

I would personally do a stout. I love a good dark beer when it is cold. Last year I did the Chocolate Milk Stout from Northern Brewer and loved it after dinner as a desert or with dessert.

I was thinking the same thing when I heard its snowing out there. I'm planning on moving to Colorado next summer, I'll probably brew a chocolate/coffee stout on my first snow day which wont be for a while after.

You got it all wrong.... You should have a stout in the pipeline so you can drink a few on the snow day.....

But of course brewing a stout is always a good idea for later in the winter.

I'm thinking an American ale. Then when the neighbors are put shoveling I'm in the garage drinking a stout and they are coming over for an adult beverage.

Fruit Wine. Tinned red fruit, raisins. blend, add chemicals, add water, add sugar, ferment. Bottle, heat on the hob with winter spice and orange peel, drink warm :)

Monkey55 said:
I was thnking the same thing. I'm going to have to look for a recipe for that. ;)

E

I can't find a all grain I think is going to be as amazing as I want it to be. I am thinking beer pancakes flavor. Malty and maple-y

I'd do something completely different from a wintery brew. Say it's a miserable snowy January day - I'd brew something that puts my mind into spring a little bit. Maybe a Kolsh that I can ferment in the cool basement and then lager until March or April and drink in May?

No snow in Washington state yet, but the chill has certainly started. Thus today I am brewing a Mocha Java Porter. Cold brew coffee and cocoa nibs added into the fermenters. Yum. My own recipe.

JonM said:
I'd do something completely different from a wintery brew. Say it's a miserable snowy January day - I'd brew something that puts my mind into spring a little bit. Maybe a Kolsh that I can ferment in the cool basement and then lager until March or April and drink in May?

I was thinking the same thing! Similar to how St. Arnold's puts out their Christmas ale in mid-summer each year. Kolsch is an excellent idea; would also think about some lagers to take advantage of the cooler temps.

Hey fellow FoCo. I brewed an IPA on Monday and then drove to work in the snow wishing I'd delayed a day to brew in the snow instead.

A nice big Amber Ale. Nothing so big that I'd have to wait forever for it though.

Or a nice medium gravity Scottish ale and give it a nice long cold ferment.

I'd better stock up on an extra kit so I'm ready for the winter around here.

manoaction said:
Hey fellow FoCo. I brewed an IPA on Monday and then drove to work in the snow wishing I'd delayed a day to brew in the snow instead.

Nice there are a lot of us foco'ers. I wish I had the goods to brew so I was stuck behind my monitor playing with recipes in beer smith.

I can't find a all grain I think is going to be as amazing as I want it to be. I am thinking beer pancakes flavor. Malty and maple-y

Just use a stout recipe that isn't too roasty or bitter, and once it's done fermenting, add maple extract. Be very careful with how much you add though. That stuff can get overpowering very quickly.

Back