What would have caused this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
Note that I'm writing this thread more because I'm curious as opposed to this being a serious issue. I have already cleaned things up and everything's fine with my beer.

2 weeks ago, I transferred my Baltic porter to two 1 gallon jugs to lager. I stashed them in my lager fridge, put airlocks on them, and silicone tubing inside the airlocks. The blowoff tubes were placed in a 12 oz beer bottle filled with an iodophor solution.

When I came back home after Christmas, I noticed that my porter was lagering at 29 degrees (nice!), but this meant that my sanitizing solution froze and the beer bottle cracked. But what was more interesting is that one of the tubes had frozen sanitizing solution in it halfway up it's length. I know it's sanitizing solution because it's clear. Also the ice doesn't go all the way up the tube, so I figure none or very little of it got in my beer. But I am wondering now what caused this to happen. Physics was never my strong suit. What I do know is next time I will either lager a tiny bit warmer or use vodka for my blowoff tubes.

As the contents of the jugs cooled it caused a partial vacuum which pulled the iodophor solution up the tubes a bit, where it froze. No big mystery there...

Cheers!

You should not be using a blow-off tube when lagering. Blow-off tubes are only needed for the intial burst of your fermentation. After a few days, once fermentation slows down, put a regular S-type airlock in. Those S-type airlocks allow for change in pressure/temperature without any suckback.

You should not be using a blow-off tube when lagering. Blow-off tubes are only needed for the intial burst of your fermentation. After a few days, once fermentation slows down, put a regular S-type airlock in. Those S-type airlocks allow for change in pressure/temperature without any suckback.

Unfortunately I don't have room in my mini-fridge for an airlock. My brew should be fine with a blowoff tube, right?

Unfortunately I don't have room in my mini-fridge for an airlock. My brew should be fine with a blowoff tube, right?

As it reads that the sanitizer didn't actually make it all the way to the beer, it will be fine. In the future, you might try rigging up an S-style lock at the end of your blowoff tube, and just duct-tape it to the side of your lagering vessel so the combined height is a non-issue...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
As it reads that the sanitizer didn't actually make it all the way to the beer, it will be fine. In the future, you might try rigging up an S-style lock at the end of your blowoff tube, and just duct-tape it to the side of your lagering vessel so the combined height is a non-issue...

Cheers!

Just want to say that this is a brilliant idea!

dougdecinces said:

I would do a 2 week rest at 70* after primary. This guarantees the yeast are done. When you lager, I would just put a regular (air tight) cap on the jugs. No gas will be produced, you're simply conditioning it for a while.

Most of us lager in sealed kegs under co2 pressure.

Back