What to use for water and topping off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire322

Reaction score
I just got my kit, and will be getting the juice kit next week. I was curious about two things.

What type of water do you use/suggest to use during the process? Filtered tap water, jugs of spring water? I know tap water might be a bit risky depending on the make up of the cities water supply.

Also, during each step of the process, kits suggest to topping off the containers. Do you start with water during fermentation, and switch to a bottle of similar wine later on?

The kit contains all the minerals that you need so use RO water or distilled. RO is pretty easy to get, most kiosks at the supermarket that fill 5 gallon bottles for $1 are RO filtration stations.
You only need to top off containers for long term storage, as in a secondary that will need to sit for 6 months or longer. I top off with a similar wine, usually only need a few ounces.

If your water tastes good, its OK to use it. I use a cheap Brita filter and its perfectly fine. No need for anything fancy, the small amount of water you add won't really be a problem.

And yes, water to start and similar wine to top off later.

Don't sweat it...its not rocket surgery, enjoy it.

Thanks for the responses! Only reason I ask is because my city's water is super hard which was my main concern, so I was probably going to use distilled (or the Brita).

Thanks for the responses! Only reason I ask is because my city's water is super hard which was my main concern, so I was probably going to use distilled (or the Brita).

I'm REALLY new to this also, but....... I've been reading NOT to use distilled, use spring water.

If you use tap water, you might want to dose it with a Campden tablet... 1 tab per 20 gallons of water, if I recall correctly... Gets rid of chlorine and chloramine in the city water...

Chlorine will evaporate out if left uncovered or if you boil the water first, but not chloramine...

The reaction is almost instantaneous...

I'm REALLY new to this also, but....... I've been reading NOT to use distilled, use spring water.

In this case either should be better than tap water. It is true that if your water tastes good it should be fine. Greatness however requires you to to pay close attention to your water.

Spring water will contain some trace minerals that are not necessary for a wine kit. Good for all grain brewing as these minerals are needed by the yeast to multiply. Much of the Spring water that you get commercially is just RO water with minerals added for flavor.

Distilled water doesn't have any trace minerals so won't add anything to the kit. The PH is a bit funny on Distilled water, it doesn't have any buffers and tends to be higher than other waters. It is generally avoided for brewing.

RO can get out most of the solid partials out of the water, it doesn't get all the dissolved salts so you still have some PH buffers and some trace minerals. It is closer to distilled than spring water; if you aren't brewing from a kit you need to add minerals.

Spring water will contain some trace minerals that are not necessary for a wine kit. Good for all grain brewing as these minerals are needed by the yeast to multiply. Much of the Spring water that you get commercially is just RO water with minerals added for flavor.

Distilled water doesn't have any trace minerals so won't add anything to the kit. The PH is a bit funny on Distilled water, it doesn't have any buffers and tends to be higher than other waters. It is generally avoided for brewing.

Not a chemist and don't even play one on TV but your post is a little confusing. If yeast need the minerals then what difference does it make whether you are brewing beer or making wine. It's the same yeast with the same or very similar needs, isn't it? And don't yeast need certain trace elements and minerals (including zinc and magnesium) which ought not to be found in distilled water in order for the yeast to create the enzymes they need to transport the sugar through their cell walls and metabolize alcohol from the sugar molecules

And you say that the pH of distilled water is "a bit funny". Why should it be funny. Distilled water before it reacts with other volatile chemicals in the air or your container should have a pH of precisely 7.0. It is neither base nor acid. Water which is more alkaline (or basic) because of the minerals and salts in it will have a pH above 7.0 and water that is more acidic , again, because of the minerals and salts dissolved in it will have a pH of below 7.0.

for all grain you need to worry about minerals, for extract, they used water with a mineral profile already and it's in the extract.

This is why you get many different answers.

When i was only boiling extract batches, or if I plan on doing an extract batch, I use city water. It tastes good and never an issue. (tested against distilled, spring and tap, there was no difference that i could pick up) and when topping up after the boil, I use it right out of the tap. (technically sprayer)

Extract kits and wine kits have a pre-determined mineral profile. All the minerals needed is in the kit, you don't need to add more.

The PH of distilled water drops soon after it is exposed to carbon dioxide; it doesn't have any buffers to hold it at 7.

So I talked to one of the owners at a local brew store, and he said that our city's water should be perfectly fine, but I can use a Brita if needed. Not necessary though.

Thanks for all of the input!!!

Back