What to get, buckets, carboys, big mouth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoewes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my family has decided to give me a gift and get me a couple of fermentation vessels and I'm having trouble deciding the best option.

These will be for 5-gallon batches and I can get two so do I go with glass carboys or big mouth. Do I go with 5 gallon or 6.5 gallon? One of each, two of the same.

I'm leaning towards 2 6.5g Big mouth bubblers assuming I can use them both for either primary and/or secondary.

I don't know that I will be doing a huge beers (imperials or barleywines) though I might. But I likely will be dry-hopping or maybe doing some fruit additions. From my readings on the forums that would push toward a 6.5g but should I get a 5g and a 6.5g or just 2 6.5g?

Is there any reason to have 1 5g carboy and 1 6.5g vs 2 6.5g?

Also, I suppose unless I am using a kit, I can always adjust my recipes up from 5 gallon to 6g to make use of the space I have.

Just looking for some recommendations.

Thanks!!

I would recommend two 6.5 gallon plastic big mouth carboys for 5 gallon batches. (That extra 1.5 gallons is for headspace unless you like to see exploding fermentors.) I use all glass, but they do take special handling to prevent stress fractures.
Better Bottle over bucket because you can see what is going on inside without opening the fermentor up.
There really isn't much need for a secondary vessel anymore. Having a five gallon carboy sitting around would be a waste of resources. You need to save money for ingredients.
Also get a bottling bucket.

I would recommend two 6.5 gallon plastic big mouth carboys for 5 gallon batches. (That extra 1.5 gallons is for headspace unless you like to see exploding fermentors.) I use all glass, but they do take special handling to prevent stress fractures.
Better Bottle over bucket because you can see what is going on inside without opening the fermentor up.
There really isn't much need for a secondary vessel anymore. Having a five gallon carboy sitting around would be a waste of resources. You need to save money for ingredients.
Also get a bottling bucket.

Yeah, that whole no secondary thing has thrown me (as I was researching my choices). So even if you are dry-hopping you don't need to rack off the yeast cake, or is that a post-fermentation addition where you would rack off into a secondary?

Yeah, that whole no secondary thing has thrown me (as I was researching my choices). So even if you are dry-hopping you don't need to rack off the yeast cake, or is that a post-fermentation addition where you would rack off into a secondary?

You can dry hop in the primary after fermentation is complete. Dry hopping before fermentation is complete will have your aromas scrubbed out by the CO2 production.

I like to transfer to a secondary if I plan to pitch the slurry and am dry hopping. I also like to have an open fv ready to go if I feel like loading the pipeline :)

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Get 6.5 gal buckets. :rockin:

+1. I really like my buckets. Easy to clean. Easy to get a hydro sample out of the add-on spigot. I can't imagine hauling anything glass and heavy up and down my concrete stairs.

I'm a bucket guy, easy, cheap and no worries about breakage. I do have a couple glass carboys, but those are for long term aging when I don't want to tie up a keg.

I've grown weary of the heft, danger, and cleaning hassle of glass carboys. I loved watching the process when I started brewing, but no longer feel the need. Too many close calls requiring bandaids when they break. Lucky I never needed stitches or lopped something off. Definately 6.5 rather than 5 gal.

Bigger openings are more easy to deal with all around. I ferment and secondary in anything that will hold wort. Plastic buckets are super easy. Better bottles are quite nice. My glass carboy is okay, but it has the smallest opening. Iced tea dispensers with spigots on them are great for 1-2 gallon batches.

Get two 6.5. A little extra space never killed anybody.

"but honey for the cost of 2 glass carboys I could have this: http://deepwoodbrew.com/home/16-6-gal-stainless-steel-carboy.html "

FWIW I do not own this product but would have if I did not have a fleet of other fermenters already and someone would have pointed this out to me when I started.

"After all the hard work you put into perfecting your craft, your home brew deserves to ferment in style and this 6 gallon stainless steel fermentor provides the perfect solution."

Now I see what my beers have been missing. They didn't have the chance to "ferment in style". :D:D:D

Now I see what my beers have been missing. They didn't have the chance to "ferment in style".

I was thinking the best durability, light protection and minimal oxygen permeability. They also are safer than glass and easy to clean. Seems like a win-win to me. ;)

Get 6.5 gal buckets. :rockin:

I agree. Buckets are the way to go - I cant imagine the hassle of a standard carboy. They are light, unbreakable, rarely need blowoff setups because they don't have the choke-point at the top, less permeable to light. They sell ones at LHBS with the cover pre-drilled and ready to rock. My rig is two buckets, and the 5 gal Bigmouth Bubbler for a secondary. I bought the BMB in a moment of weakness. It makes a great secondary, but I only use it when I'm adding some kind of dry hop or flavoring to the beer, or if I'm going to let the beer ferment > 4 weeks.

If I ever upgrade it will be to the stainless steel bucket equivalent : http://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/brewbucket

If you are hung up on telling people you ferment in buckets, then just tell them use use "poly-based fermentation equipment"

I was thinking the best durability, light protection and minimal oxygen permeability. They also are safer than glass and easy to clean. Seems like a win-win to me. ;)

Oh, I like those too. I just got a kick out of that whole ferment in style stuff they put in there. Mine sit inside a fridge while fermenting. I could give a rip if it looks stylish.

I've never had a problem with light or oxygen in my el-cheapo brewing buckets. I've never had one break either. The worst that ever happened was I broke a lid gasket. If I'm going for stainless steel I want the full package and get the real benefits. If I'm going with stainless steel, I'm going all the way and getting a conical...
10032.jpg

7822.jpg

11107.jpg

Are you going to bottle or keg your beer? This is a question I would ask myself.

If bottling then you will need a bottling bucket also. Go with a 6.5 gallon bottling bucket, that can also be used as a fermenter when brewing a beer that requires a secondary.

Then I would purchase fermentation vessels in both 6.5 and 5 gallon. I prefer a 5 gallon FV for secondary conditioning due to less headspace for oxygenation of the beer. Although, I don't use it as often, this size IMO is ideal for 5gal batches when a secondary is needed. Also, most kits out there have this configuration.

If you are kegging, or even never plan on using a secondary, then go with two 6.5 gallon FVs. I use mostly glass carboys, but go with what you feel comfortable using. Great beer can be made in all of them. Cheers!

Two big buckets with air locks , bigger the bucket equals more room for krausen and so no over foaming issues.
Don't forget you will also need a bottling bucket, as both of the new buckets will have brews in them.

I do love my buckets. Both have spigots. I love that I don't need to use a siphon. just ferment in one for a couple of weeks and then transfer to the other for bottling. easy peasy.

I do prefer my glass carboys for extended conditioning. I like being able to see what the beer is doing. how the yeast is flocculating, et cetera.

they didn't have better bottles when I bought my glass carboys. if I had the choice between the 2 I'd probably go with a wide mouth PET carboy. glass carboys are a pain to clean mostly just because of handling difficulties. I have no problem moving a completely full 6.5 gallon glass carboy around. the OxiClean solution gets slippery and it is damn scary trying to maneuver a wet slippery glass carboy.

HDPE plastic buckets can have a short service life if not treated well. always clean with soft cloth. don't even use plastic scrubbies. I've had mine for 7 or 8 years now and they're still my primary go to fermentation vessel.

if I could choose to low cost vessels I would pick two at 6.5 -7 gallon vessels. 1 bottling bucket if you don't already have one. the other a wide mouth better bottle (PET). that gives you more options and will help you figure out what your preferences are. that's really what it comes down to... what YOU like to use. you can make great beer with any of these vessels. once you develop your own preferred processes, you will know what you need more or less of.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Honestly, buckets are cheap and easy to use. I have a ton of better bottles and I like them for long, long aging sours, but they can be a pain to clean. Glass was always too heavy and slipper for me. That said, if I was going with glass, I would definitely get the wide mouth for ease of cleaning. For what you plan on doing, I would go with the larger size.

Also, not sure if it was mentioned - I think Northern Brewer is having a buy one get one free on Bubblers (their generic better bottles). So if quantity is your main concern, you get get four for the price of two. Or get a deal on two if that is all you want.

I have better bottles, they are a bit of a pain to clean (requires a long soak), but otherwise are lightweight and work great.

Always go with a bigger than batch sized fermenter, you never know….
I have a Wheat recipe that can/has blown the top off a bucket.
I use Buckets & Carboys - never used the Better Bottles

Buckets - come with convenient handle - easy to carry - easy to clean - can be re-cycled into something else = like hold salt for the snowy driveway .
I have also used a "bottling" bucket to secondary a BOCK out in the cold garage - then just open the spigot, and transfer to keg - no racking cane, if you put the bucket on a 2x4 cut into a wedge you can get the yeast to settle away from the spigot. I can get my Bock Crystal Clear.
Not going to break if you drop, no matter how hard you drop it.
Good for Dry hopping.

Carboy - I put mine in a plastic Milk crate - so not too bad to carry - but Glass is way heavier than plastic - I secondary in Carboys, so cleaning is not always a problem - I also make wine - perfect for Carboys - wine will stain the buckets eventually. Horrible for dry hopping !

Better Bottles - never used them - but I hear - they change shape when you pick them up ( when full )
- the plastic flexes - so you would have to put them in something like a Milk crate to move them anyway - I have heard they can be very hard to clean - you can let a carboy soak in Bleach with no adverse effect to the glass.

I like the Big Mouth's, might get one myself .
I can't spend over $150 on a fermenter - wife won't let me. You can buy a lot of buckets for $150

And you should 'retire' your buckets after a while - they are not stainless they are not a family heirloom, they will start to pick up stains/bugs, unless you keep them filled with alcohol all the time.

Just my 2 cents - advise is worth what you pay for it.:mug:

I think everyone agrees that you should get the 6.5g variety fermenter but I would go with glass over plastic. I started with buckets and my first batch was a DIPA. I still don't think the smell of hops has left that bucket. I only use it now to sanitize my equipment. I like to use secondarys as well, especially if I'm aging a batch. The downside of glass carboys is that they are heavy and kinda hard to clean but they make tools to make both of these easier.

Better Bottles - never used them - but I hear - they change shape when you pick them up ( when full )
- the plastic flexes - so you would have to put them in something like a Milk crate to move them anyway - I have heard they can be very hard to clean - you can let a carboy soak in Bleach with no adverse effect to the glass.
I believe you heard wrong. I have 5 PET carboys and the only one that changed shape at all was when it melted next to my burner because I was a dummy. I have never felt them change shape when I've lifted them.

I don't find them a pain to clean, I just let them soak in water with some PBW overnight and rinse well. Easy for me.

I like those big mouth bubblers though. I would love to get one of those.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I decided to go for 2 6.5g buckets for most use plus one glass 6.5g big mouth bubbler to those times I want to do something extended.

The greatest surprise was that my family also got me a 10 gallon Blichmann boilermaker

Back