What to Ferment in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernStar

Reaction score
Hello, well, I have a 1.5L glass apple cider jug that I have been using to ferment my meads in, but I was curious if it was safe to ferment in a plastic juice bottle. One of those bigger ones with thicker plastic, without risk of getting a plastic taste to it. Thanks!

Look for #1 or #2 bottles. PET or HPDE.

Also if you drink wine, those 1.5L glass jugs are cheap and come full of alcohol.

Yup. I believe some use milk jugs also. I don't know what # they are though.

Milk jugs are usually HDPE here, presumably the same your side of the pond. The 1 gallon to 5 litre water jugs/cans are usually fine too, as they're PET.

It's handy if they've got a screw top, then that can be punched with a hole to take an air lock grommet.......

Batches with fruit are best made in buckets, as the fruit tends to form a cap that needs to be punched down daily for at least the first 1/3rd of the ferment. If you did a batch like that in a jug or water can/bottle, then not only are you losing space to make the brew but the shape of them can help toward causing foam eruptions.........

very messy.......

Milk jugs are usually HDPE here, presumably the same your side of the pond. The 1 gallon to 5 litre water jugs/cans are usually fine too, as they're PET.

It's handy if they've got a screw top, then that can be punched with a hole to take an air lock grommet.......

Batches with fruit are best made in buckets, as the fruit tends to form a cap that needs to be punched down daily for at least the first 1/3rd of the ferment. If you did a batch like that in a jug or water can/bottle, then not only are you losing space to make the brew but the shape of them can help toward causing foam eruptions.........

very messy.......

Ohh, I see, thank you :D. Haha, I will not not hesitate to ferment in my sturdy plastic jugs!

Yup. I believe some use milk jugs also. I don't know what # they are though.

I would not use milk jugs, as they retain milk, and are made of LDPE (#4,#5) plastic that degrades somewhat quickly. Gallon water jugs are a better option, and are usually made of HDPE (#2).

I have seen a 2.5 gallon water dispenser-jug used by removing the spigot, and that is a decent size.

I don't use plastic, but opt for the carboy or a jug - be it wine, apple juice, or whatever else I can get for a few bucks (which is what a gallon jug costs empty at the brew store)

Back