What to do......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
I am noticing a lot more of the recipes I am thinking of trying are using "whirlpool" additions. My kettle is not equipped with any kind of whirlpool arm or anything like that. Also, when I am done with the boil usually my wort chiller is in the kettle to be sterilised, so stirring the wort to create a whirlpool is difficult if not impossible. Do I take the wort chiller out and do the whirlpool then put the chiller back in to start my cool down? Or is there another way to do this without actually stirring or creating a whirlpool per se? I have seen "hopstand" and not really sure what that is either. If this is a stupid question, I apologise. Any input or guidance would be much appreciated. Rock On!!!!!!

I agree. I've done both . Left the IC in the kettle when I whirpooled , not much whirlpooling technically . I've chilled to 170 , taken out the IC then whirlpooled , then replaced the IC to drop temp . The only difference was the cone that was left when I took out the IC to WP then put it back in the kettle carefully to drop the temp.

Hopstand! Yes, basically you just cool your wort so it’s no longer converting SMM to DMS — I usually settle on ~165 F — then stop cooking, throw the hops in there, and wait 10 or 20 minutes. Then cool the rest of the way down. If your kettle has a valve, you can use a Hop Stopper to cut down on the hops and break material that make their way into the fermenter, but I’m not convinced it’s worth the expense or trouble.

Human arm + long plastic spoon = Whirlpool arm.
I place wort chiller in 15min before end of boil.
End of boil I stir till 160F - 165F and then add hops and carry on stirring.
This is not a perfect circular stir due to wort chiller but helps cool wort quicker and stir in hops.

I always took "whirlpool" additions as meaning that you add them at the time when you might otherwise be whirlpooling.

So after the boil is over, but before the wort is cooled too much regardless of whether you actually whirlpool or not.

I thought the whirlpool name came from the larger brewers that might be using a whirlpool system to help separate the liquid from the solids matter suspended in it. Not just the quick little swirl we might give the wort after we cool it.

If using an IC you can just pick the chiller up a couple of inches and swirl it around in the kettle. The large diameter of the IC moves a fair amount of liquid even when swirled rather slowly. This won’t create a neat cone in the center but it does do a decent job of concentrating the trub.

If using an IC you can just pick the chiller up a couple of inches and swirl it around in the kettle. The large diameter of the IC moves a fair amount of liquid even when swirled rather slowly. This won’t create a neat cone in the center but it does do a decent job of concentrating the trub.
This is exactly what I do 👍

That's a great idea!

Back