What to do????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarineRedneck

Reaction score
I am about 1/2 gallon of water short in my wort and i was wonder if i could a add half gallon or not. I hit when i am short with my beer stuff. But i was in hurry and didn't even think about it till know.

Whenever I need to top off with water, I always base it on whether I hit my numbers or not. If I hit my OG spot on, then I usually won't top off. If I'm high by a few points, then I'll add a little water (only if I'm under 5g). Whatever you do will dilute the current beer....not by a whole lot, but still. If you hit your numbers right and don't want to risk having a different beer than the recipe was layed out for, then I'd leave it alone.

Depends...
Did you do all grain or extract?

Extract kit - go ahead and top off. It was designed for a specific volume.

All Grain - did you check the specific gravity? let's say it's too high because you had too much evaporation, then you could top off. However if the gravity is where it should be, I wouldn't add water because you will throw off the balance and taste of the beer.

I would much rather end up with 4.5 gallons of good beer than 5 gallons of watered down beer.

*friendly reminder* it is usually frowned upon to post the same question in two different areas.

Extract kit -Winter Belgian Tripel- Tripel was originally a name convention used by Trappist breweries to describe the strongest beer in their range. It includes a healthy amount of malt with added candy sugar to increase the alcohol and add dryness. Two hop additions add a subtle spiciness. A belgian strain of liquid yeast.

Back