What to do with this salvage, HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCBrewer

Reaction score
Found a piece of bar equipment being scrapped due to the foam rotting and metal all fked up.

After an hour, I was left with this, drain hole in center......

I am thinking inside my keezer and expand my taps with external tanks??

Please I need ideas....

Any ideas on worth besides scrap prices, looks like alum, about 45lbs+-

IMG_20150827_204647.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like a chill plate. Couldn't you make a jockey box from it? Might need some extensive cleaning but could be worth it.

It is a solid aluminium 10 pass chill plate from a taprite ice box.

Dimensions are ~28inX28in by 3-1/2" thick

It would be 45 lbs. of "mixed" scrap.

It could be cut down the middle, and make 2 cold plates, that is, once you determine the fluid path(s).

But I would bet, straight down the middle, and you'd be safe.

A cold plate for you and your Buddy!

I think most cold plates go from one side to the next. Cutting down the middle would cut all lines and render it useless. You said that the metal is messed up. Is that surface stuff or is it where the connectors go? If the internals arent too bad and you are not going to use it as a cold plate, sell it. If you dont need/want a jockeybox maybe you can turn it into some sort of prechiller or something for your chilling water. You could probably get your chill water cold as F* with that thing.

If you have one of the recent "stud finders", that find copper wiring, and tubing etc...., behind walls, give it a shot on that thing, and see if you get any "hits" where the tubing might be routed.

I know it's all metal, but some of them work off of "differences" that it sees, from the location in which it was "calibrated", if you will.

The tubes look to me to run fore and aft, as pictured, with a common "cooling manifold" placed side by side, before casting.

As in: 2 small plate chillers ganged into a common thermal mass.

I could be mistaken though! ;)

It has nine in/out on each side, so at least one of them has to cross to the other side. Definitely not going to work to cut it in half.

You said this was a 10 pass chill plate? Where's the other pass?

What are the dimensions on that beast? I was looking at a 5 pass one on ebay a while back. It was an odd shape, kind of similar to this and unfortunately it was too big to fit into a standard cooler for a jockey box setup.

Cleaning it should be fairly easy. All the ones I've seen are 1/4" stainless tubing with aluminum cast around the tubing. So you should be able to use BLC or PBW to clean the lines.

Not sure if it'd work in a keezer if it wasn't packed with ice. It might for a bit, but if you were pouring fast enough, I think it'd probably warm up faster than the keezer could cool it. So if you were having a party and hitting it hard you might start getting foamy pours. That should be easy to test though without making permanent modifications to your keezer. Also, is there another drain port like the one in the middle? If so, it might be a chilling circuit. That would be sweet because then you could just pump some glycol through it.

Beg, borrow rent or buy a thermal imaging camera. Heating guys use them to find radiant loops under concrete. You will track those passages in a heartbeat.

Latest posts

Back