What to do with this mini fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-Hog

Reaction score
I found this mini fridge on CL last weekend and bought it for $50. When I met the seller on Monday to pick it up, she had it laying down in the back of her SUV. I know that laying a fridge down is not good for it (learned that the hard way), but I figured I would let it sit for a few days and it should be fine. Well I plugged it in Thursday night and went to bed. Got up Friday morning and checked it and it was warm. The freezer gets very cold (27F according to the thermometer), but the fridge sits at 70 degrees. I got my money back from the seller, and she let me keep the fridge. It's too small to fit a carboy or ferment bucket in it, but I thought it might be worth tearing it apart and using the freezer parts for a home made fermentation chamber. What do you guys think?

photo.JPG

Are there any lines between the freezer and the fridge? Could just drill a few holes through the divider and be good to go.

zepolmot said:
Are there any lines between the freezer and the fridge? Could just drill a few holes through the divider and be good to go.

I have no idea but like I said its too small for a carboy or fermentation bucket. I bought it to use in our loft for beers and sodas so we wouldn't have to run down the steps every 15-20 minutes.

I agree with Zepolmot if there is no lines between the divide drill some holes or remove the whole thing. Could make a nice chamber.

If the freezer is still working you are good to go.
you can do something like in this fermentation chamber thread.
Real good ideas there.
You can take the doors off, build a cabinet around the fridge and still use the lower door as access.
I have not built a fermentation chamber yet but when I get to it I will be building one very similar to the ones in the thread I posted the link to.
They work very well and are pretty easy to build.
You can make them as simple or as complex as you want.

If the freezer works then the fridge part should work as well. There is only 1 compressor in the unit. See if there are any vents from the fridge to the freezer that are blocked and make sure the fridge isn't on the warmest setting or something.

If the freezer works then the fridge part should work as well. There is only 1 compressor in the unit. See if there are any vents from the fridge to the freezer that are blocked and make sure the fridge isn't on the warmest setting or something.

I know it was on the correct setting, because I double checked with the girl I bought it from. I'll check the vents and see if there are any blockages. Thanks for the help.

Wanted to add, This is a two door unit and there are no vents between the fridge and freezer to be blocked.

Back