What to do with spare room.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoisufnoC

Reaction score
So my girl friend and I just bought a house. It has this bizarre spare room that is separate from the entire house and I'm at a loss as to what to do with it.

this is the front door to our house...
IMG_5317.JPG

this is the front door to the spare room...
IMG_5316.JPG

inside...ignore the xmas lights, its an old picture
IMG_5320.JPG

IMG_5321.JPG

the room has its own separate heat and ac. I was thinking of a bar / rec room type build but now i'm thinking more towards housing my home brewery in it. however i'm concerned with boiling indoors. its never really too cold in vegas to brew in the garage so i'm leaning more towards bar w/ a keezer. i've been inspired by a few threads in the DIY section and hoped you guys could comment.

Thanks!

Personally, I would use the room for brew storeage, fermentation room, and maybe even a keezer. Backyards are where the parties should be at!

FYI: Pics 3, 4, and 5 still aren't working. I want to see that brew space!

If you have a decent ventilation system, and a CO2 sensor if you're cooking with propane, there's no real reason why you shouldn't brew indoors. I wish I had the setup to do so, but I can't ventilate my kitchen enough to accommodate propane.

They call that a casita. They are popular in Vegas.
The idea is you can have an in-law or relative stay with you and have their own "little place". The one in our old place used to have a dorm fridge and bar sink.

I think you got yourself a brew hut!

P.S. Holy crap I cant believe they built that far north already.

They call that a casita. They are popular in Vegas.
The idea is you can have an in-law or relative stay with you and have their own "little place". The one in our old place used to have a dorm fridge and bar sink.

I think you got yourself a brew hut!

P.S. Holy crap I cant believe they built that far north already.

yeah. other houses i've been in had 1/2 or full baths in their casitas, which made it a much more obvious spare/guestroom choice. this one is just one big empty room. i think i'm going to be commandeering it from the GF for a brew hut / man cave.

we're about as far north as you can go. you look out the front of my garage and see mountains.

The Pol has a whole write up on making his. You don't have to worry about the the CO2 or other propane emissions. Just another option to look into

Seems like a lot of windows for ventilation. But then again, it's right next to the garage. Where do you brew now? What kind of setup do you have?
I would be tempted to use that room for fermentation, beer dispensing and equipment storage.

i just had a breakthrough. i could put a door in the wall from the room into the garage. brew in the garage with natural gas or propane and do all my work in the room. Snaps.

Seems like a lot of windows for ventilation. But then again, it's right next to the garage. Where do you brew now? What kind of setup do you have?
I would be tempted to use that room for fermentation, beer dispensing and equipment storage.

i've been extract brewing in the garage and using my second floor spare bathroom for primary fermentation, and secondary in a closet.

lugging full 6 gallon glass carboys up and down the stairs is getting old.

Back