what to do with sanitizer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithnick0

Reaction score
As im done brewing my batch of beer and i have a 5 gallon bucket filled with sanitizer and a squirt bottle full, what do i do with it? Can it not be used or stored?

If its starsan it can be kept for a while, cover it and save it for racking, bottling, kegging or even next brew. What kind of sanatizer is it?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I'd suggest not mixing more than one gallon at a time and use one of these.

20230m.jpg

If its starsan it can be kept for a while, cover it and save it for racking, bottling, kegging or even next brew. What kind of sanatizer is it?

+1

FWIW, I've had great luck storing StarSan. I reuse it over and over again. Just be sure to learn about the limits of the product. There was a really good Brew Strong podcast about sanitization that you should listen to. You can find it here: http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/469
The guy behind Starsan talks about the product and Iodophor

If it came with your kit it's probably something like one step which is more of a cleaner than a sanitizer. I wouldn't plan on keeping any of it, not even the spray bottle as I don't think it keeps well or can be reused.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

+1 on the PBW Five Star,& star-san. The pbw is great for cleaning used bottles too. A dobie from the kitchen,& some PBW takes the label gook right off. Good with a bottle brush for the settlings inside too! I like the Five Star PBW,as it's no rinse. It's a very versatile cleaner. And star-san is their food-grade acid sanitizer. 1 1/4tsp of star-san in a gallon jug of distilled water,& you're good to go.

Where do you get them?
Home Depot, Lowes or probably any paint store. It's a wallpaper tray.

Oh . . . I don't take credit for the genius.
Not sure where I saw the idea first, but have been using one for a few years.
I pour the StarSan back into a gallon jug after using it.

That's genius. It solves my problem of how to sanitize my autosiphon AND cuts back on my sanitizer usage.

Where do you get them?

Hardware store - paint section...

You can also just keep a liter squirt bottle filled with mixed star-san & distilled water and give it a couple squirts....

That's genius. It solves my problem of how to sanitize my autosiphon AND cuts back on my sanitizer usage.

Where do you get them?

The Home Depots out here said they do not carry wall paper trays b/c they do not carry any wallpaper products. I went to Ace Hardware. The first Ace was out and the 2nd had it in for like 3 bucks.

Dang. I should've guessed it was for wall papering. We've done it a few times. Boy,getting older is really starting to suck. lolz:drunk:

Hardware store - paint section...

You can also just keep a liter squirt bottle filled with mixed star-san & distilled water and give it a couple squirts....

I keep a squirt bottle on hand for resanitizing stuff I've touched (and testing for leaks in my kegging rig), but I've never learned to trust the squirt bottle for much else.

Wallpaper trays. I live right by an Ace so I may head over there before my next brew day.

I mix 2 gallons up in my fermenting bucket on brew day. Right before dumping the cooled wort in it I put the top on and shake the hell out of it. I then pour the leftover into gallon jugs that used to hold distilled water. That seems to keep until at least bottling day. If it looks clear and foams I figure its good to go.

If this is your first beer to brew, you must drink your remaining sanitizer. Sorry...it's like initiation.

Disclaimer: please don't actually do this :D

took a ph reading on some starsan I mixed up last month and stored in a closed cooler. still read 5.2pH still clear still foamed. good to go.

MMMM yeast cake :D

Dump what you have. When you get Star San, mix it with distilled water and store it in gallon jugs or something. It will keep months that way and you can use it and pour it back in the jug. Just gotta make sure it's not cloudy or the pH doesn't get above like 3.3 or something.

Oh yeah, gotta have some yeast cake!

took a ph reading on some starsan I mixed up last month and stored in a closed cooler. still read 5.2pH still clear still foamed. good to go.

Not sure if that's a typo or not but anything above 3 is no longer considered acidic enough to be a proper sanitizer.

Back