What to do with potted hops during winter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KobayashiMaru

Reaction score
I have 5 potted first year hops that did pretty well over the summer. But now that winter is approaching, what should I do with them? Move them to the garage? I'd like to transplant them into the ground next season.

Remove the rhizomes from the soil, remove any remaining soil, wrap them up in burlap or something similar, and store in a dark place until transplant. You could also transplant them now, depending on your location.

Remove the rhizomes from the soil, remove any remaining soil, wrap them up in burlap or something similar, and store in a dark place until transplant.

I can't disagree more with this ^

At this point, the rhizomes have put out larger main roots and fine feeder roots. Removing them from the soil will damage these and destroy any progress that the plants made over the season.

As long as your winters aren't too extreme, just keep them in pots. They will continue to develop roots and be in a great place to plant next spring. You can also wrap and mulch the pots to help regulate the temps. In extreme conditions, temporarily moving them to an unheated garage might help.

Hops are incredibly hardy plants. I have overwintered dozens in small pots without any issue.

And... if you have the ability, the best option would to simply plant them now. The ground is the safest place for hops over the winter.

But you couldn't disagree more with that option.

Looks like my intended quote didn't appear. Should be fixed now.

Thumbs up to planting them now. Thumbs way down to the other suggestion.

I have some potted hops plants that are now on their .third. season left outside during extremely cold michigan winters way below freezing and they always come back in the spring. I just cover them with leaves in the fall and leave them be (pun intended). In the spring lightly brisk away the leafcover as the rhizomes pop up.

Love the startrek name Kobi..

After trimming the bines and the weather got cold enough (before snow) I put my potted hops in the garage. No idea how it will turn out. If I remember I will have to come back to this in the last spring and share how it went.

Back