What to do with old grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

37OliveStBrews

Reaction score
Hi all
Once upon a time I was a homebrewer who stored his grain in 5 gal buckets with gamma screw lids. 3 plus years later and two kids I am wondering what I should do with this 3 year old grain. Just dump it in the yard, trash, or brew with it. Anyone have experience with old grain or grain disposal?

I'd brew something cheap with it so you're not out a bunch of money for hops if it turns out crappy, but I bet it will taste fine.

Oils in grain can become rancid, other than that, I would not be too concerned about age. Try it............ If you are nervous about it, brew a one gallon brew using a mild flavored noble hop in moderation so you can assess the grain better.

H.W.

Brulosopher posted recently about a brew where he used 2 year old German Pils and it turned out ok. For some reason I can't paste a link using my phone but if you search 'short & shoddy' on his site it'll come up.

Moisture is the bane of grains. If you kept the grains dry they shouldn't change much over time. Do some research on grains found in the Egyptian pyramids.

Back