What to do with "Old" Ale from a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxtrot

Reaction score
I've got about 3 gallons of a year-old Old Ale in a keg I want to transfer to bottles to free up a keg. The beer is at 1024 (OG 1096). The beer is nearly flat as I keep it un-connected to the CO2 most of the time since I wanted to age the beer a bit.

My question is: should I prime the beer with corn sugar prior to bottling or could I pitch a vial of a high attenuator like WLP1056? I also considered pitching a vial of Brett for kicks, as the beer is just so-so anyway. I plan to age the beer further once in bottles.

What do you think? I'll take any suggestions!

You don't want to add Brett just prior to bottling because you really can't predict how far it will ferment out. It could go down to single digits like 1.006 and you'd have bottle bombs for sure. If you want to add brett, carefully rack it back into a bucket, pitch the Brett and put an airlock on. Forget about it for 9-12 months.

agreed- Brettanomyces can sometimes use sugars that Saccaromyces cannot, meaning you could have much too much carbonation in the bottle

also, recommended minimum time in a primary to see results from Brettanomyces (as far as flavor is concerned) is usually 3-6 months

i just introduced Brett to my brewery for the first time, and im already having nightmares...

Right on-

I think I'll get a bucket and dedicate it for the rod-shaped creatures in my brewery. I've always wanted to experiment with Brett and thought this might be a good time to play. I'll let this one sit for 6 months and see what it brings.

So- after 6 months, if the beer is tasting right, do you prime with sugar at bottling time or will there still be enough sugars for the Brett to ferment for carbonation?

Back