What to do with dying keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

culaslucas

Reaction score
So some guy sold me a dead/dying keezer on Craigslist the other day. It's tough to tell if it can chill at all because it's about 42* here and it's staying between 45 and 55 - even though I have the Ranco set at 42* with 5* diff.

...therefore, I conclude it's not working well.

That being said,
a.) is there an easy way to fix this thing?
b.) if not, what can I do with a hugeass freezer that can't cool well?

Well for now, just leave the lid open... Maybe try setting it to like 32* to see how well it's working. It's usually pretty hard to impossible to fix them, depending on the model. (from what I've heard)

You could store bodies in it, but they will go bad fairly quickly.

+1 on fermentation cabinet. That's what I'm using my old kegger for. It struggles to hit 55F in the summer, but that's good enough for everything except a lager.

Take it back to his house, use it as a giant paperweight and drop it on his friggin head.

Lesson learned: make sure the next guy has his plugged in for a day before you buy.

Take it back to his house, use it as a giant paperweight and drop it on his friggin head.

Lesson learned: make sure the next guy has his plugged in for a day before you buy.

Freaking seriously - he lives directly across the street from me - I'm considering just tossing it back in his yard.

It could be that you messed it up in the move? YOu know that if you shake up a fridge and/or freezer too much, and don't let it sit to settle for hours if not a day, it can ruin it? Usually though, I think all it needs is a freon refill... Not a fridge mechanic though. If you can't get it working, the above suggestions sound pretty good, you can pull out the other expensive parts for the keg connections and taps and buy a new freezer I'd guess?

pompeiisneaks said:
It could be that you messed it up in the move? YOu know that if you shake up a fridge and/or freezer too much, and don't let it sit to settle for hours if not a day, it can ruin it?

That's true pretty much just with really old models.

pompeiisneaks said:
Usually though, I think all it needs is a freon refill... Not a fridge mechanic though.

You can't find anybody to recharge a fridge anymore, and if you could it would cost more than a new one.

not that anyone gives a flying F, but my friendly neighbor who sold this heap to me offered to buy it back. Magic Chef 7.2 here I Come!!!!!

EDIT: I guess he's a lurker here - If you're reading this Josh - thanks!

Latest posts

Back