What to do with a pony keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopKeller

Reaction score
The other day I bought 15 gal keg off a guy to start my keggle build and he gave me pony keg as well. It's 7.75 gal and I'm not sure what to do with it. My brew volume problems have been solved w/ the big keg, and I already have a 6 gal pot for smaller batches. I don't keg my beer, so i have no use for it in that capacity...any other suggestions?

I love mine as a fermenter. Take the spear out, soak in oxyclean, sanitize, then ferment whatever you would like in it. I constantly have a 7.5 gallon batch of applewine going in mine!

PS, the orange carboy caps fit them perfectly

I love mine as a fermenter. Take the spear out, soak in oxyclean, sanitize, then ferment whatever you would like in it. I constantly have a 7.5 gallon batch of applewine going in mine!

PS, the orange carboy caps fit them perfectly

+1 I just pitched some yeast in one 5 minutes ago.

Cool, thanks. I was considering that, but wasn't sure about it. Need to find out how to remove the spear. Off to YouTube....

+1000 on the use it as fermenter. Also check out Wortmonger's Closed Pressurized Fermentation thread, That is how I ferment now and REALLY like the results.

Also, What kind/brand keg is it? There are TONS of threads here on that subject.

+5 on using it for fermenting.

As for pulling the spear, there's threads here explaining how to do it. I've done it several times, so I find it pretty easy. You only need a few items to do it.

As for fermenting in it, you have some options on how to fit the airlock. The easiest would be to get one of the large universal bungs/stoppers (not for Better Bottle carboy's, the other one) and simply jam that into the opening and install an airlock. You can also get one of the Brewer's Hardware sanke fermenter kits if you wish. I have a few of those still, but I've been using ones I designed and had made at a machine shop (TIG welded). I have mine setup with a liquid ball lock fitting, that I can send a dip tube through, and then install the post onto it. That way I can use a CO2 push to move my brew from fermenter to serving keg without lifting it one inch. :D Of course, I do have a gas post fitted to the keg itself (in the top)... You can use the Brewer's Hardware kit in the same fashion, it just takes more tinkering. :D With the orange carboy cap, you can fit the offset nipple with a barb and connect a gas line to that, and then use a racking cane to get the beer out. I did that for several batches before getting the custom kits made.

Latest posts

Back