What to do after yeast washing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie3

Reaction score
I recently made a 10 gallon batch of blue moon clone using wyeast forbidden fruit and washed the yeast and it is currently being stored in mason jars.

I want to make another 10 gallon batch this summer of the same beer and was wondering the following:

Most videos show people making a starter which comes from about 1 mason jar. I was able to collect about 8 mason jars.

How much yeast do I need to make a starter? I assume one mason jar will do?

If I do make a starter do I need another wyeast smack pack as well? Or can I simply just pitch my starter and expect that to ferment 5 gallon batch?

Assuming you make a big enough starter there would be no need for a smack pack or additional yeast. That's the point of washing and reusing to begin with I believe. You would just have to step up the starter to the amount you need. That's all the insight I have as I am just now researching this kind of thing myself. :)

That's what I suspected, I am a bit confused on how much yeast I should make a starter from.

What would be considered a big enough starter?

I typically make a 1L starter out of one jar for 5g. Now if the white layer of yeast is small, I will use 2 or 3 jars. It does depend on how long they have been sitting. I found you need more jars after 6months to a year. More is usually better, so try two jars and see how fast they take off in the starter.

I have had ggod luck just dumping in a mason jar of slurry into the wort. For a 10 gallon batch, I would use 2 jars.

Back