What to build?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvinsudz01

Reaction score
I've been at it for over a year, and now I'm ready to get serious about brewing. What I don't know is should I build a RIMS or a HERMS, or possibly something else? I've got the equipment and know how to do the fab work, but just not the concept of what to build. Whatever I build I want to do it right the first time. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Pics??

I'd say a basic stand with the ability to add to it as time goes on. I'm on a single tier and will be adding HERMS in the next few months, i just finished adding the MLT tippy dump. But if you have the time (and money) to spare you could go all out now. Please remember that you'll change your mind about things as you start using the system, so spacing out upgrades will allow you to change course more easily. And it'll get you brewing faster. There's no single perfect system and i've found myself wishing i had done some thing different. Search copiously on the forums and look at everyone else's designs, mull things over, copy like heck, and ask lots of questions. Good luck!

*Some* design requirements you should answer before cutting any steel:
  • Do you want a stand or not?
  • Any space requirements? 1,2, or 3 tier? Portability of system?
  • frame material: wood / steel / stainless?
  • NG or LPG or Electric? What size burner(s)?
  • Batch size?
  • How often will you be brewing?
  • how many batches per brew day?
  • brew day time constraints?
  • brew day "staffing", will it just be you? (if so, make things easy)
  • keggle/commercial pots? Type of drain(s)?
  • what kind of filter/strainer/false bottom will you use? (for leaf / plug / pellet / all hops)
  • what kind of tubing and connectors do you want? Any air bleeders?
  • hard piping or tubing? (both fuel and wort)
  • Using pumps? How many? (usually 1 - 3) Which manufacturer?
  • How much bling factor? (a fair question to ask yourself)
  • how much automation (if any)? Recommend saving this for version 2.

Here's mine:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ezstor-single-tier-290296/

Back