What to brew next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elktaker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Now that I am moving my first brew to secondary, I am getting excited about brewing another beer. I have been tasting various craft beers from some of the local craft brewers (I am in North San Diego county). I have a definite preference for stouts-porters. I like the maltier flavor without overpowering hops.
I am willing to do some steeping but I am not ready to do a full on AG.
I would love to have some suggestions about what my next brew should be.
TIA

What was your first beer?

Also, MOST beer is equally hard to brew. There are some exceptions, but in general all ales are pretty much brewed the same way and adding some of this and some of that is just as easy as adding some other things.

If you like darker beers, maybe consider a plain Porter? You can make them as malty or hoppy as YOU like. You could buy a KIT from a place like Morebeer or a local supply shop, OR you could simply buy ingredients separately to match a recipe you find online. You *could* even come up with a recipe, but for your second beer I highly recommend a kit or copying a recipe.

Here is a kit from Morebeer. Looks like a lower IBU beer. Not too stout, but still has a little roast in it.

http://www.morebeer.com/products/american-honey-porter-extract-beer-kit.html

Don't be afraid of going All Grain! After a few batches you may have enough comfort in the process to give it a shot using the Brew In A Bag method. It's almost no extra cost other than a mesh bag (5 gallon paint strainer is commonly used, although there are some nice upgrade bags for sale these days!) The only difference between extract and all grain as far as process goes is measuring water and checking temp. It's really that easy!

It's a fun hobby, no doubt! There are plenty of styles to choose from.

I love window shopping Norther Brewer, Midwest Supplies, etc. Their catalogs have great pictures and information on their kits. Makes me drool to look at them.

Then I realize how much more expensive a kit is... but they are great for several reasons and can make great beer too. They really are handy and generally they are all solid recipes. Don't be afraid to try anything that tickles your interest.

I live in north county as well. Check out Mother Earth brew company in vista. Went in there the other day and asked them the same question you asked here. Very knowledgeable and very willing to help a noob with a million questions.

Welcome to the hobby!

I would say take some time while you're still on extract and get the process down, try some different flavors, and then once you're comfortable with the process, the sanitation, the fermentation, move on to all grain.

As for what to brew next, it's really up to you on what flavors you like, but based on your malty w/o overpowering hops, try an amber/red. They fit the bill pretty well IMHO. Here's one I made that came out very tasty, wasn't overly hopped, and had good flavor. It's AG, but should be pretty easy to convert to extract

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/hoppy-american-amber-malty-american-pale-ale-145402/

If you like malty you could try a Scotch Ale or Doppelbock. I've got a doppelbock in the fridge now and cannot wait for it to be done.

Forget about kits and extract, go all grain, its not difficult, just do it.
All you need is a brew kettle and a BIAB bag.

Back