What to brew from Stuttgart, Germany?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zickefoose

Reaction score
In a month I have a german foreign exchange student that will be visiting and I want to do a brew that is big where he is from. I was thinking about doing a Vienna Doppelbock but use ale yeast instead so it will be ready sooner. I realize this won't be as good :/

So does anyone know what I should brew from southwest germany?
Stuttgart

Southern Germans are primarily into lagers. Since you have a bit of time constraint, I'd suggest doing a Koelsch. That's as close to a German light lager as you'll get with ale yeast. If you want to go dark, then I'd make an Alt. Both of these are beers he's probably had before.

I think he'd be more impressed with one of these, and that you brewed an authentic German beer, rather than trying to make a doppelbock with ale yeast.

Moose

PS: If you make a Koelsch, don't use a recipe with wheat. Just use German Pilsner malt. However, I forgot to mention that you could also make a Weizen.

Weizen was going to be my suggestion, given the time constraints. I nice light one.

Oh, and I studied in Stuttgart for a little while, and lo and behold, most of them drink crap beer as well.

Me and the lady fell on a dunkelweizen. We're making a hefe this weekend so I wanna do something darker.

Thanks for the input :)

I thought the point of the exchage program was learning about other cultures and what makes them unique
If I were you I would brew a hop bomb to drop on him:ban:

I thought the point of the exchage program was learning about other cultures and what makes them unique
If I were you I would brew a hop bomb to drop on him:ban:

I agree with this also. If he's coming from Germany maybe introduce him to something new instead of what he gets everyday where he lives.

I moved to WA from SOCAL and the day we arrived our hostess served us enchiladas. I thought it was funny and ironic. So yea, I agree with making him something different. I would try something with a medium bitterness but lots of hop flavor/aroma since he's probably not used to heavy bitterness yet.

A Dunkleweizen sounds like just the ticket. It'll still be cold in Flagstaff next month but with warmer weather on the way you may want to brew something on the light side, strong, but still very flavorful. Here's Jamil's Dunkleweizen recipe (I've made this before, very tasty):

6.5 lb Weyermann Pale Wheat Malt
3.5 lb Weyermann Munich Malt - 8L
1 lb Rice Hulls (optional)
8.8 Oz (250 grams) Caramunich - 60L
2.6 Oz (75 grams) Weyermann Carafa Special II - 430L
.75 oz Hallertauer pellet hops - 60 min
1/2 tsp Wyeast yeast nutrient - 10 min
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen (2 liter starter)

Mash @ 152F - 60 min
Primary ferment @ 62F

Keep primary fermentation temp low so you don't create a banana/clove bomb.

Latest posts

Back