What to brew for the general public?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBBaron

Reaction score
We are planning a 60th birthday party fo my parents this summer and I would like to brew a couple of beers to have available. I know my tastes tend to run towards the extremes so I need some ideas about what most people might like drinking.

Whats beers have you brewed that have gone over well with friends who don't usually try craft brews?

My parents don't drink beer so this won't be for them. I don't really know all the invites but I don't think many drink much but I don't think anybody is going to be offended if beer is available either.
I would like to brew something that I would drink if there are leftovers but all my ideas for popular beers (American wheat, fruit beer, blonde ale) are styles I don't care for.
It has to be an ale as I don't have lagering capabilities.

I am already planning a Dark Mild but I want a second beer that is different from the mild.
Would an Ordinary Bitter or Special Bitter go over well? Or how about a Dunkelwessien with munich and a little carmel malts?

Any ideas?

Craig

I'd say a very simple pale ale, not bittered too heavily. Focus on some toasty malts, relatively low bitterness, and plenty of finishing hops to give it a fresh citrusy flavor.

Dunkels seem to have broad appeal. APA's should be on the list, just keep it balanced rather than hoppy (or rather slighlty hoppy, not extreme hoppy). The ESB is probably not a bad idea. Maybe something dark as well. Many people like a clean, good Stout or a Porter. Heck even Nutbrowns are a good choice. I think though, for a broad appeal try to keep them true to style as it were.

Miller High Life. It's what most people think of when they think Beer. Expect a curious few to try yours, but then they'll end up with High Life.

Don't brew for the public. Most people do not like the beer we like.

OK here is the Mild I am already planning Dark Mild
One of my thoughts was to compliment it with a Bitter
Ordinary Bitter
Probably bumped up a little into the Special Bitter category.

It sounds like this is a good direction based on the comments.

The only concern I had was is my wife. She is a mostly non beer drinker, however this weekend we went to a brewpub and she tried several beers. She like the wheat beer and the razzberry ale but turned her nose up at the Bavarian Dark Lager, the Pale Ale and the Pilsner, she didn't even try the dry stout and the IPA.
I thought I might try to make something she would like but I would still drink. I know I would like the Mild and Bitter but I suspect she won't care for it. However she is not much of a drinker so I would hate to have several gallons of beer that nobody drinks.

Craig

Cheesefood said:
Miller High Life. It's what most people think of when they think Beer. Expect a curious few to try yours, but then they'll end up with High Life.

I'd Agree. Home brew has much more complex flavors, which most people can't appreciate. I'd buy some bud lite and make something you like. If they ask you what it is your drinking offer them some but don't push it. If they drink it great.

If you do brew try a blonde ale. Comes off close to a Pilsner, which may go over better since most of big beers (bud, miller, etc) are pilsners.

Cheesefood said:

I know this true, however we will not be providing commercial beers. I wanted the excuse to brew a couple more batches and I thought I would make some home brew available for people attending the picnic/party. If they want to try a beer, great. If they are not interested thats fine too. However I don't want to make something that only 1 in 100 will like.
Craig

I'm brewing a Fat Tire clone (again) today. I don't care for it much- I always tell my husband "It doesn't taste like anything!" But last summer my BMC friends, micro brew drinkers, and my husband (who likes good beer) scarfed it up. If you can buy some in your area, try it and see if that's what you're going for.

Yooper Chick said:
I'm brewing a Fat Tire clone (again) today. I don't care for it much- I always tell my husband "It doesn't taste like anything!" But last summer my BMC friends, micro brew drinkers, and my husband (who likes good beer) scarfed it up. If you can buy some in your area, try it and see if that's what you're going for.

Is it a closely guarded recipe? I don't see it in your recipe's. Care to share?

loop

I'm starting to plan along similar lines for the company's summer party. I'm planning on bringing two, maybe three kegs along with us. Definately a light, balanced APA for one, I'm thinking a smooth, malty porter for when the sun goes down and we're sitting around the fire (it's a very casual party), and I *might* do an IPA for those who are more adventurous (and I'll have that for myself).

Personally, if you're doing a mild, I'd do something else with a bit more of a domestic flavor, like an APA. If you want something kinda-BMCish, maybe a cream ale.

Yooper Chick said:

Lots of great suggestions...and I too have found fat tire is a hit with many BMC and non-beer drinkers. Left Hand's Sawtooth is similar in that respect.

I made the Grand Cru in 'my recipes' for my Step-dad's 60th. It went over BIG. They polished off the keg before the party was half over. I think it's one of those beers that people that don't like craft brew would enjoy - citrus flavors and not very hoppy.

I'm going to be doing an 10 gal AG version of it soon because everyone that visits always asks if I have any more of it yet.

What about caroline ale?
Nothing but Mariss otter, EKG for biterring and late hops, nothing fancy just hops at 60 mins and hops with 10-15 mins to go.
Will satisfy the ale drinkers and lager drinkers and will go down real easy :mug:

Yooper Chick said:
Lots of good ideas and suggestions in this thread. The Fat Tire clone sounds like a good suggestion. I know it is quite popular and I've seen it at the grocery store. I'll pick up a pack and see it I like it, and if SWMBO likes it.
What clone recipe are you using. I see BYO has an extract recipe on their website. Fat Tire Clone

Craig

I always do a blonde ale and usually an APA thats light on the bitter side. may be 35 IBUs

then I have a keg of whatever Im drinking in the back of the fridge

CBBaron said:
... One of my thoughts was to compliment it with a Bitter
Ordinary Bitter
Probably bumped up a little into the Special Bitter category....

I would say to definitely go with a bitter!!! Most BMC drinkers will drink it and have more than one - at least that has been my experience.

A not-too-heavy wheat like an American weizen is easy, quick to brew and usually appeals to both males and females. Serve it with a lemon wedge and people will want to try it b/c the stupid thing comes with a lemon wedge!:rolleyes:

I would second the wheat beer. Lots of people love Hacker-Pshor and BlueMoon and around here Honey Weis. Have lemons and/or oranges for the people who fruit the beer. Sit back and enjoy people drinking real beer once and a while.

Chimone said:
plus you can have a Hefe done and drinkable in just about 3 weeks.
I'm not too familiar with wheat beers, whats the best choice?
American Wheat
Belgian Wit
Hefeweisen
DunkelWeisen

I'm guessing the American wheat is the one most likely to please the most people, and the one I'd be the least interested in. Oh well you can't please everyone.
Craig

CBBaron said:
I'm guessing the American wheat is the one most likely to please the most people, and the one I'd be the least interested in.
Craig

I wouldn't necessarily say that though. A DunkelWeizen is very good because it shadows over the distinctive 'Wheat' flavor with the Vienna and/or Munich malts. Imo, American wheats seem to be an open forum- as it were- where most anything goes in a way...you can make them hoppy or not...etc. *shrug*

But you are right, you can't please everyone. I'd make 3 beers tops for this event if it were me. Probably an APA, a Nutbrown and maybe a Dunkel...but that's just me.

I would think a brown ale, pale ale, or a wheat, I know thats all most of my friends will drink. I have never known a person not to like a Belgian Wit. So that might be a good choice, my mom even likes Belgian wit. and she hates beer.

If you haven't considered it, a raspberry cider would probably be well received. (At least by your wife).

Buy some Miller lite in plastic bottles if you consider that the plastic bottles and caps cost $21 a case and the Miller is $25 you're getting beer for $4 a case.

I learned my lesson well , You can't please every one, you gotta please yourself.

CBBaron said:
I'm not too familiar with wheat beers, whats the best choice?
American Wheat
Belgian Wit
Hefeweisen
DunkelWeisen

I'm guessing the American wheat is the one most likely to please the most people, and the one I'd be the least interested in. Oh well you can't please everyone.
Craig

Nah, do the Wit. People get a kick out of the coriander and orange peel.

I second Cheesefood. For this years pig roast I'm going to brew a Kolsch, an Alt and an American wheat. I may give a few samples of the other beers I have.

No, not wheat beer! Not if you love your dad. (sorry but I have strong feelings about wheat beer)

Actually golden ale, cream ale and kolsch are really nice general beers.

Apfelwein would be an easy alternative for the non beer-drinkers in the crowd. Nice and refreshing for a summer party, too. I'm actually a little shocked Ed hasn't chimed in yet to make that suggestion ;)

We had an impromptu party here a few weeks back when one of my daughters came back from college for the weekend. I had a fresh keg of my "Blue Balls Belgian Wit" which is essentially a clone of Blue Moon.

It was polished off in about 1 1/2 hours. I've just done a double (10 gallon) batch and expect it to be gone very quickly.

The recipe link above also give an extract version if your interested.

Easy, quick beer. Very refreshing and "bright" for the summer time. It's also a bit lighter in alcohol so it's perfect as a social brew. It also looks like a "general public" beer.

Belgian_Wit_1.JPG

By request, I'm doing an American Hefe for one of my BMC-sworn friends. He said the only micros he enjoys are usually Hefes. I'm going to use a good, fruity yeast (WLP 300/320), but I'll keep the temp down to avoid any strong esters.

I'd say kolsch, bitter, brown ale. Alternately, I'd consider a belgian wit, porter/stout, or maybe an English Pale Ale--I'd say not an American, because they're usually hoppier. Try to tell people that just because a beer is dark (porter/stout), that doesn't mean it'll be filling or heavy or 7% ABV. But yeah, kolsch, bitter, BA sounds like they'd cover your bases. Plus, I love them. :D

BierMuncher said:
We had an impromptu party here a few weeks back when one of my daughters came back from college for the weekend. I had a fresh keg of my "Blue Balls Belgian Wit" which is essentially a clone of Blue Moon.

You need to take out the extra http// in your link. It ain't currently working.

Code:
http://http//www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24978

Should read https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24978

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
You need to take out the extra http// in your link. It ain't currently working.

Code:
http://http//www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24978

Should read [URL="https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24978"]https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24978[/URL]

Fixed......

Thanks for all the responses.
It seems the most popular response is Pale Ale or Wheat beer. Of the wheats Belgian Wits are the most popular.

I'm not a fan of wheat beers and even less of a fan of flavored beers but I'm willing to give anything a try. I'll pick up a six of BlueMoon and see how my wife and I like it. If she likes it I know alot of women will drink it and probably a few BMC drinkers.
I'm also going to brew the 1822 Porter in my signature soon so I will take some bottles of this for some real beer. The Mild and Wit will be in Party Pigs for easy of use.
So the menu looks like:
Dark Mild - sweet, roasty, low bitterness
Wit - spicy, light
Porter - stronger, roasty

The reason for leaning towards the Wit is I think my wife will like it and I'd like to earn some positive points from her about my brewing. My preference would be for a Bitter or DunkelWeisen but I doubt my wife would like them and I'm guessing they would be less well received.
Craig

Craig

The one thing that I've found is that even people who don't "like beer" will enjoy a lightly bittered, dry-hopped beer. There's something about tasting the hops without the extreme bitterness of say, an IPA that seems to make non-craft beer drinkers more at ease... ok, that's my 2 cents... next...

Latest posts

Back