What thermometer do you use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leezer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have done 5 or 6 extract kit brews and plan to do my first all grain biab in next few weeks. I have been reading up on different options for thermometers to use to check and monitor mash temps. Just wondering what folks here use? I know thermopen is highly recommended but not sure its in my budget.

I know that the thermapen is expensive, but you can find it on sale occasionally.

That be being said. I went through several other thermometers that were not as good and did not last. If I had the money I spent on those I could have paid for a Thermapen. I eventually bought thw Thermapen and have been very happy with it. I also ise it it the kitchen all the time. It is worth the expense of buying it the first time.

FWIW, the previous model (classic) Thermapen is selling for $79. The new model is $99.

I would highly recommend the ChefAlarm from Thermo works. It's a little cheaper than the thermapen ($60), takes multiple styles of probe, has a timer with alarm for hop additions, and is still a quality product from a quality company.

I use the Thermoworks Thermopop which works pretty well although I would like to upgrade to a more accurate Thermoworks Thermapen in the future.

I use my thermapen. In fact, I just bought a second to have one in the kitchen and one in the smoking/brewing area.

They do run some open box/refurb/clearance sales from time to time. And they now have a newer model with backlight, and rotating display. :cool:

I have a Thermoworks cheaper model and am very happy with it. It is even on sale right now.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

I dropped it in my 153 F mash last week...it fell to the bottom of the kettle with the burner on and it took over 2 minutes to get it out due to the hot water and not having anything handy to fish it out. Came out still turned on and works like a champ!

I use a Fluke DMM (digital multi-meter) with a Fluke thermo couple. The pair retails for over $600 and I wouldn't recommend rushing out to buy them. I happened to have them already in use from my occupation so figured I would get the extra use out them. It is pretty nice to have the accuracy down to a tenth of degree F though! ( ;

I have two floating thermometers, one for the mash & one for the sparge. cheap & effective. I'd like the probe style one of these days, though.

The Thermapen is pricy, but I have been using the same one for 5 years or so and it has been worth every penny. It's especially worthwhile if you're a cook, and doubly so if you like to cook fish.

CDN DTQ450X. Around $16 on Amazon. Look in the right side bar for the best price.

I do have a precision glass thermometer, but it's only used for calibration purposes. No way that fragile thing is being used in the heat of brewing. The sad fate of many hydrometers is well documented.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the Thermapen. You won't regret it. My girlfriend originally bought one for me a couple years ago for when I make stuff in the smoker but it quickly became the brewing thermometer as well.

After about 3 years of brewing with the classic floating thermometer, I finally got a thermapen, and added two chef alarms for monitoring fermentation temps. Splash resistant, quick reading, and their quality is well documented. Yeah, they're more spendy than other options, but they'll last. What's that worth? Wish I'd bought mine sooner.

For a hand held, the side read feature on the Thermapen knocks it out of the running. The top reading ThermoWorks RT301WA or CDN-DTQ450X accurately and dependably do everything a homebrewer needs at a fraction of the cost. I use both for spot checking mash temperatures. For a thermometer that stays in through the mash, I use a Thermoworks Dot.

I have to be completely honest here.....

I bought a Thermoworks RT600C a few months ago as I posted above and it was incredible when compared to the floating thermometer I used before. I highly recommend it it is pretty fast BUT.....

After using that for a few months now I wish I had a Thermopen because of it's speed. If I can get an almost instant reading why wouldn't I want it?

Also I saw a recent post of someone saying theirs was 6 years old and temperature was off. A Thermopen Rep replied and told them to send it in and they would calibrate it for them for free..

I have used the DTQ450x recommended by brewhardware.com, and it was great but eventually succumbed to the idiot dropping it's short little self into the mash too many times.

I replaced it with a 6s read time CDN DTW450L and I like the waterproof, fast response, and the longer probe, but wish it had better than +/- 1.1°C. Still looking for the perfect +/- 0.9°, fast response, long probe, waterproof thermometer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the KM14 and it works pretty well for me. Easy to calibrate and gives pretty quick readings to the tenth of a degree.

I went with floating thermometers for years. Broke many and ruined a few batches. I now have dial thermometers that I calibrate with a thermowerks digital with a probe.

Wow, this is great, thank you all very much for the suggestions.

It all brought up another question. Looking at most of these thermometers makes me think monitoring mash temps is done by taking a quick check periodically rather than leaving a probe on a cable in the mash for the whole time? Or is either way okay, as long as you have the right thermometer for the job?

CDN Digital Thermometer DTQ450X - Brewhardware $17 - I use this for measuring temp of gravity samples, pH samples. I've got through 2 so far. One I broke (bent probe in a drawer) other failed and manufacturer replaced it no charge no questions.

CDN Clock/Timer/Corded Digital Thermometer DTTC - Brewhardware $20. I have two of these, one on outlet of each of my pumps. They are slow and not as high resolution as the DTQ450X but work fine in this "always on" application. The alarm is handy for maintaining mash temps - I use manual direct fire recirculating system and have to turn the burner on and off by hand. Also nice to have the alarm during chilling so I can stop watching the pot and focus on cleaning gear until chiller gets to pitch temp.

I also have a dial face thermometer on my HLT.

RT600C for me.

I got it while it was on sale on amazon and I've been happy with it. The readings are quick enough for me. It usually reads in about 5 seconds, which is fast enough and I can't imagine spending more money just to be a few seconds faster than 5.

Wow, this is great, thank you all very much for the suggestions.

It all brought up another question. Looking at most of these thermometers makes me think monitoring mash temps is done by taking a quick check periodically rather than leaving a probe on a cable in the mash for the whole time? Or is either way okay, as long as you have the right thermometer for the job?

Either way is okay. For me, I mash in a cooler and i just leave the mash alone for the entire hour. I don't bother to lift the lid to check temp every 20 minutes because heat will just escape. My cooler holds heat very well (coleman xtreme) and throughout an hour mash, I really only lose ~2F at most, if that.

I use Thermoworks Chefalarm. Has great features like a high and low alarm which I use for the mash and love. Plus probe options are great. Very accurate as well.

Back