What the CuS.S. Tricoil 1.2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-Fib

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on CuS.S. Brewing's Tricoil 1.2. I went with them over JaDeD cause their chiller was a little cheaper and I saw the company phone number is local to me. On the CuS.S. website if gave the rates for chilling 5 gallons of wort but I couldn't find anything on a 10 gallon batch. Anyway I bought one since my old homemade coil was drastically under performing on a 10 gallon batch.

Today was the 1st time using it and the results were pretty amazing. I had 12.5 gallons of wort to cool. My hose water, being winter in the Chicago area, was 47.3F and my garden hose was putting out 9.5 GPM. The flow rate was probably overkill since the line out of the chiller was staying cool.

With the water flowing at max the 12.5 gallons went from immediately post boil to 100F in 3:55, 80F in 5:45 and 70F in 6:42. My old chiller was probably close to 20 minutes and could never really get lower than 80F. With the Tricoil today I was stirring the wort almost 100% of the time. It ended up being a decent arm workout with the weight of the thing. It was great being able pitch immediately for the 1st time instead of waiting on my chamber to finish cooling things down to the 60s.

I believe he was with Jaded before and went on his own venture. Either way, they are badass chillers. My 5 gallon setup and 10 gallon neighborhood brew group both take minutes to chill, especially with the winter ground temps.

Back