What Temperature do you keep your kegerators at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalBrewing

Reaction score
I finally got my thermostat problem solved. I dont want to overpush the limits of my compressor. So what temp do you guys usually leave your kegerators at?

I assumed just above freezing, say 36 degrees, or so.

SoCalBrewing said:
I finally got my thermostat problem solved. I dont want to overpush the limits of my compressor. So what temp do you guys usually leave your kegerators at?

I assumed just above freezing, say 36 degrees, or so.

Its partially personal preference, beer style, psi setting, and hose length. Serving temperatures for most beers are 32 to 54. The colder you set your kegerator the less you taste your beer but the more co2 it will hold. I keep mine around 36-38 degrees to accomidate my guests beer tastes and to allow near maximum co2 solubility and foam reduction.

I try to maintain 40*, but sometimes it gets up to 45*. If the style calls for a higher temp., I'll just let it sit for a few minutes.

It's all about foam. Here's what Micromatic.com has this to say.

The Most Common Draft Beer Problem

The most common problem with a draft system is incorrect temperature.

When the beer gets warm, it foams and the retailer loses profits, because foam is approximately 25% beer. If the retailer is throwing away 25% of the beer in a keg, they are pouring away several hundreds of dollars in lost profits a week.

When beer gets too cold, the carbonation in the beer stays in the beer until it is consumed and released in the customer’s stomach. This also results in lost profits because the customer cannot drink as much.

So, either way, if the beer is too warm or the beer is too cold, the beer’s quality is at risk and profits from beer sales will be lost.
The Proper Beer Temperature

What is the proper temperature for storing and for serving draft beer?

The answer to both questions is 38 degrees F.

38 degrees F temperature, applies whether the beer is a domestic beer or an imported one. The same holds true whether or not the draft beer is pasteurized.

The reason for this is that beer stored at 38 degrees F will retain the level of carbonation that was created during the brewing process.
If Beer’s Temperature is Too Warm

Allowing keg beer to warm up will cause the carbonation to be released from the beer while it is still in the keg, causing foaming. The foaming occurs because the pressure being applied to the keg is no longer enough to keep the carbonation in the beer.

This results in foam (profits) being poured down the drain because the foam is released when the faucet is opened.

! Once the carbonation in the beer has been released, it will affect the taste and appearance of the product being served.
If Beer’s Temperature is Too Cold

Having the beer too cold causes the carbonation to stay in the beer. This results in the beer glass being overfilled, and profits being lost. In addition, if the keg is too cold and the applied pressure remains at the same setting for 38 degrees, too much pressure is applied and the beer may over carbonate if not used in a short time. The beer will be wild and foamy at the faucet.

Since all I've got in my kegerator right now is an English bitter, I have it set around 55. It's the right temp when it comes out and has low carbonation at 12 PSI.

For other styles, I sometimes have it in the 40s.

I keep mine around 40F. I have a keg of soda water in it and that needs to be fairly cold. I tend to drink slowly, so the ales have time to warm up.

36 on the Ranco.Like it cold.Lower settings create icing in the keezer,which ends up as water in the bottom.I never had digital temp control before so i just guessed at near freezing.I might try a degree or two higher.......energy savings perhaps?
Cheers:mug:

Like a few folks have said, it depends a little on the style. Many beers should be kegged at 38F or so and then warmed to serving temp after they are poured. The exceptions are the beers that are supposed to have low carbonation and need to be stored warmer as they will absorb too much CO2 if stored cold. For example, a Scottish Ale will have all of the carbonation it needs just from its saturation from fermentation. If you store it under 55F with just the CO2 needed to push it out of a 1 inch line length, it will be overcarbonated for the style.

I am currently working on a line length/CO2 pressure calculator in Excel (no macros this time). I will post it in the software forum tomorrow.

Back