What temperature do shots start to break ground

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ststephen5

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

First time hop grower. Put 3 chinook and 3 cascade rhizomes in the ground a few weeks ago. After planting, here in Upstate NY, the weather started getting cold again with day time highs only hitting the 50s with night lows close to freezing on some nights. My question is what temperature does it have to get up to for the rhizomes to start taking off? Also, what's the usual time frame for rhizomes to start producing shoots after they are planted. On a side note, just today I finally saw my first shoot poke it's little head up on one of the cascades and today's temp finally got close to 70.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It depends on how healthy and active ur rhizomes are as well as ground temp and nutrition. There's a lot of factors. Best thing to do is RDWHHB!

Last year was my first and my Willamette only had 1 shoot break ground and still harvested almost 1/2 oz dried cones. This year I had 25 or more shoots come up early april.

Back