what temp to mash an imperial red?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razyrsharpe

Reaction score
Looking for advice on best temp to mash for an imperial red ale on Saturday.
Here is the grain bill: 14lbs 2 row, 1.5lbs crystal 120, 1 lb honey malt.
I want to hit near 1.085-1.090 OG

Depends what yeast you're using and your target FG. 9% caramel will leave you a fair amount of unfermentables so if you are using an English yeast strain i'd mash low like 148. If you're using something like San Diego super yeast you could go higher like maybe 150. I wouldn't go too high with that much caramel and a big grain bill or you'll be left with too much residual sweetness IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well even on the low end (OG 1.085 FG 1.015) that's asking for 85% attenuation. 001 can get you there but it'd be dicey with that much alcohol and that much caramel. I'd consider dropping your caramel a bit and maybe add a little simple sugar to make sure you hit your targets. And definitely mash low 148 tops and use a thin mash, 2+ qts/lb if your tun can hold that much grain and water.

Yeah. Mash low (145-148) and cut your caramel. That amount of honey malt and c120 will be pretty sweet in the end. I'd also recommend perhaps adding some simple sugars to get it to ferment out dry. Pitch a big healthy starter and oxygenate well.

Was this your first beer where you were shooting for gravity of 1.085+? Typically your efficiency will suffer quite a bit on higher gravity brews because it's hard to get all the sugars out without pulling a lot of pre-boil volume. Chances are if you cut off the sparge when you hit 6.5 gallons or so, you left quite a but of sugars behind. Your options are either to pull a lot of volume and try and get those sugars and then boil for like 2.5 hours, or just assume lower efficiencies and use more grain. Typically I get brew house efficiencies in the mid. 70s but will use like 60% estimate when doing really large beers.

If that's not your issue then it could be you didn't mash long enough to get full conversion. When you mash low like you did sometimes it's a good idea to give the enzymes a bit more time to complete conversion as they don't work as fast at the lower temps.

You can always boil up some DME and add it to the wort to hit your target OG if your worried about having too many IBUs for that low of gravity z

This was my first big beer. It was only my second AG attempt. I know that I'll have to learn as I go, but still a bit disappointing. On the positive side, color was spot on! Deep red. And the hops were well balanced with the malt. I think the beer will be good, but not what I tried for. Back to the stove top!

Back