What Temp do you Drink your Beer at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOB

Reaction score
Being the noob that I am, I found this article interesting. Maybe that's why the only time you can drink "crap" beer (i.e. Bud, Coors, etc.) is when it's cold. God forbid you ever try them warm, when the real taste comes out! I call them crap beer because this was all I have ever known until I now, I am trying to expand my tastes.

http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/beertemp.htm

This made me think...while I'm still waiting for my first brew to get done, how should I drink it? It is an American Light Ale Extract Kit (I wouldn't have bought this kit, but it was a present.)

How do you guys drink your Home Brew?

How do I drink my HomeBrew? With my mouth.

Seriously...an american light ale should be good right outta the fridge...maybe give it 5 or 10 mins at room temp to warm up, but no longer. Some brews like warmer temps to really show their stuff---lots of stronger belgians come to mind. Stouts too. Take my chocolate-coffee stout, for example. I had one the other day, poured it right outta the fridge, and it was lean and uninteresting. I thought that maybe I had an off-bottle...bit I let it sit for 30 minutes or so, taking a sip here and there. Only when it had gotten closer to room temp did it show its true beautiful colors.

Cool thing is, lots of Belgians and other craft breweries are cool enough to tell you on the label whether you should drink it warmer than fridge temp.

SOB said:
I wouldn't have bought this kit, but it was a present.

First of all, don't ever be ashamed, or apologetic about what you are brewing as long as you are, in fact, BREWING! It's all good. (Except for mexi-swill :cross:)

I usually keep my kegs in the fridge at about 40F, but I always wait for my beer to warm up a bit before I drink it. Usually it's best around 55F (cellar temp.) I used to drink all my beer ice-cold, but then started drinking it warm because I forgot to chill some and had one right from the cold-room shelf. Yum!

Though I'm a homebrew noob, I have experimented a bit with different temps--definately a hot topic of discussion with me and my friends. I've come to the conclusion that most beers will give you the most flavor when they're a little cooler than room temp. Obviously this varies--most stouts I like at room temp, but Guinness Extra-Cold is a nice little break. Brown ales I like a tiny bit cooler than room temp, Belgians I usually like a little cooler than that, and so on. The only beers that I like ice-cold are beers I'd be forced to drink, like Bud, Heineken, or whatever. The colder they are, the less I taste them (and they're refreshing on a hot day). But as a rule, the darker the beer, the warmer I like it (with exceptions, of course).

SOB said:
It is an American Light Ale Extract Kit (I wouldn't have bought this kit, but it was a present.)

Is it the one from Morebeer? If so that was my first beer I made too. I really liked it, as so did everyone else who had one. And I drank them celler temps and really cold temps. Good everytime

I drink my pale ales, bitters and porters at 50 - 52 F. I will drink my hefe at 47 F, when it's ready in a couple weeks. I read somewhere long ago that beers should be drunk at 10 to 15 degrees F below their fermentation temperature. I typically ferment at 66-68, so that works for me.

The other consideration is that bitter flavor is not temperature dependent, but malt flavors are. As temp goes down the bitterness is unchanged but the marl flavor diminishes. So as you cool or warm a beer from the temp it was designed to be drunk at, you unbalance the flavors. Try a BMC at room temp, and you'll see what I mean. I think the accountants at BMC realized this, and insisted on chilled down beer with low hop levels to save on money, at the sacrifice of flavor.

My family hates going to bars or restaurants with me because I insist on a room temp glass instead of a chilled glass for any top fermented beer I order, so I can get a little flavor out of it.

I drink most homebrew in the 50-55F range. Hot weather session ales [I'll toss your Light in there] are better chilled to 40F or warmed to 40F, depending. Ciders, I like ice cold.

Some times at brewpubs, I'll order and IPA/APA and a porter or stout, so I can drink the IPA cool and let the stout warm up.

Chimone said:
Is it the one from Morebeer? If so that was my first beer I made too. I really liked it, as so did everyone else who had one. And I drank them celler temps and really cold temps. Good everytime

It's a Brewers Best Kit. I have been tasting it along the way (it's in the secondary right now) and it tastes pretty good.

When I say I wouldn't have bought it, I'm not saying it as a bad thing, I mean that when I sit down and look at all the extract kits, I would like to try a lot more of them before I would try the American Light Kit.

I like mine in the 50's or warmer.

I've been to some places (and my co-workers make comments) where they don't have a good selection (IMO) and get stuck with a Heiny.

I ask them for an unfrosted glass and to place the beer in the microwave for 30 secs on high. They look at me like I'm strange.

Sometimes I ask if they have any in the back that haven't been refridgerated.

Other times I'll ask them to take 4-5 of them out of the fridge for me at let them warm up...:D

Drink it at the temp that tases best to you! If you are new, try your homebrew and a few different styles (home or store) by stretching the drinking time out to let it warm. Start cold right out of the fridge, and make some mental (or written) notes about aroma, hop flavor, bitterness, maltiness. Let it warm up about 5*, then repeat. Continue doing this until the beer gets to room temp, or at least 65*. You will notice definate changes in taste due to temp. I have done this conciously a few times, and it is real interesting when you are actually focused on it, rather than just sort of noticing in the background.

Depending on the style and flavor profile, different beers taste better at different temps. Cold tends to supress malt and accentuate bitterness, warm the opposite. If you have a beer that "should" be drunk warmer, but is too malty for your taste, try it ice cold. If you have a beer that is too bitter for your taste, try it warmer. It may or may not help, but worth a try.

Highly carbonated beers are usually better cooler - be careful opening them too warm - CO2 is less soluable in warm liquid, which means it usually goes up and out, taking some beer with it:(

javedian said:
Drink it at the temp that tases best to you! If you are new, try your homebrew and a few different styles (home or store) by stretching the drinking time out to let it warm. Start cold right out of the fridge, and make some mental (or written) notes about aroma, hop flavor, bitterness, maltiness. Let it warm up about 5*, then repeat. Continue doing this until the beer gets to room temp, or at least 65*. You will notice definate changes in taste due to temp. I have done this conciously a few times, and it is real interesting when you are actually focused on it, rather than just sort of noticing in the background.

Depending on the style and flavor profile, different beers taste better at different temps. Cold tends to supress malt and accentuate bitterness, warm the opposite. If you have a beer that "should" be drunk warmer, but is too malty for your taste, try it ice cold. If you have a beer that is too bitter for your taste, try it warmer. It may or may not help, but worth a try.

Highly carbonated beers are usually better cooler - be careful opening them too warm - CO2 is less soluable in warm liquid, which means it usually goes up and out, taking some beer with it:(

I recently picked up a 6 pack of Flying Dog. Can't remember the name but it was a light ale, I was trying to find something close to the same as what I was brewing. I noticed when I first drank it cold out of the fridge it was pretty good. As I sipped on it, it got a little malty. I'm not used to the malty taste (from drinking Bud Light most my "drinking career") so I think it's something I have to get used to.

I am going to try one after work today (my mouth is already drooling talking about beer :D ) and start it out cold again, maybe even colder, and see how it tastes!

SOB said:
I am going to try one after work today (my mouth is already drooling talking about beer :D ) and start it out cold again, maybe even colder, and see how it tastes!

I know that feeling all too well: I've been reading the forums here all morning, now all I want to do is get home and cook up some beer. :D

david_42 said:
I drink most homebrew in the 50-55F range. Hot weather session ales [I'll toss your Light in there] are better chilled to 40F or warmed to 40F, depending. Ciders, I like ice cold.

Same here, although I like my darker beers a little closer to 57-58 ish (my basement temp lol). I tried my first cider right out of the fridge the other night man was that nice.

For me it realy depends on the type of beer. I drink mostly belgians, and for those I will take out of the fridge for 30 min or so before I drink them. They taste better when they are closer to room temp.

SOB said:
It is an American Light Ale Extract Kit (I wouldn't have bought this kit, but it was a present.)

I know you already brewed it, but if you didn't want American Light Ale, you caould have addeed some more malt extract, steeped a half puond of crystal and added more hops and call it a pale ale. Steep some roasted barley in there and you'd have a stout. There are a million other ways to change that sucker. I bet the ingredients in the kit are pretty much just the base for almost any ale you'd want to make.

Brewsmith said:
I know you already brewed it, but if you didn't want American Light Ale, you caould have addeed some more malt extract, steeped a half puond of crystal and added more hops and call it a pale ale. Steep some roasted barley in there and you'd have a stout. There are a million other ways to change that sucker. I bet the ingredients in the kit are pretty much just the base for almost any ale you'd want to make.

For my first brew...I hardly knew what I was doing anyways...:cross:

Not a problem. It will still be beer. :)

If you do get another kit like that, gift or otherwise, just chime in here if you want help with modifying the recipe and we'll set you straight.:mug:

I like my beers really cold.... but after hearing the stories of beers changing flavor as they warm up a little, I may have to try this...

Jester said:
I like my beers really cold.... but after hearing the stories of beers changing flavor as they warm up a little, I may have to try this...

Try it with all of them as an experiment. Especially your Stout. I think a good example of how taste is influenced by temperature is ice cream. Most ice cream tastes much sweeter when it melts, the freezing affects the receptors. As it hits your tounge it warms up and the flavor changes. Same thing with beer, bitterness and sweetness will both increase (perceptionwise) at warmer temperatures.

I found out last night that my stout that I brewed 4 weeks(?) ago is MUCH better at room temperature. I had 2 bottles in the fridge for a week as a test and the rest still trying to survive to maturity. So I pour a glass of the chilled and it just tasted "empty". No flavor. Really bland. And I was thinking, "This is disappointing, my first brew and it really isn't very good." :( So I went and grabbed one from the spare room where I'm letting them get "aged" and tried that. HOLY FRIJOLE!!!!!!!:ban: That was outstanding. No more chilling my stout. Room temp. or bust. I need to make more. :D

orfy said:
I drink mine at 12 - 18c.

F*****G local food pubs started glycol chilling ALL beer to 2-3c including bitter. I Shall no longer drink there.

Are you serious? What, have they lost their minds or something??

zoebisch01 said:
Are you serious? What, have they lost their minds or something??

I wish I wasn't but this pub puts orange food colouring over the potatoes to make them look like the have been roasted.

Have you ever tried drinking a over carbed supper chilled English Ale.?
You may as wey go for a Budwieser or something.
You can't taste the damn thing. (Probably a good thing actually)

The post by javedian is an excellent one. Try for yourself!

Adding to the discussion; here are my rules of thumb:

BMC - suitable when at parties, camping or doing kegstands only at pretty much any temperature because you don't feel feelings anymore ;)
If you must drink it otherwise, drink it around freezing in a frosted mug and only on a hot day

I keep the fridge at 40F. That in mind...

'Light Ale and most lagers' - Broad category, I know. Pour strait from fridge into chilled glass (from fridge, not freezer). Let it temp. stablize for a few min, then go for it.

'Maltier Ale/Maltier Lager' - From fridge, into room temp glass.

'Porter' - If in fridge take out for an hour, pour into warm glass. From room temp, chill for an hour and pour into frosted mug.

'Sweet Stout' - These remind me of candy. I like these colder than most. From fridge into room temp.

'Dry/Oat Stout' - Room temp beer poured into mug from freezer. Wait 10 min. Go for it.

Mugs and pint glasses have different effects due to their mass when frozen. Maybe I overanalyze things.

Prost

orfy said:
I wish I wasn't but this pub puts orange food colouring over the potatoes to make them look like the have been roasted.

Ok, I normally don't resort to vulgarity...but...

W-T-F?!?!

You guys in the states really have no Idea how bad the food and drink in the UK can be. Don't get me wrong some places really have it right. I love going to London and some out of the way places. But if you ever go to the average pub or restaurants in an average town it is shocking.

Most of the places to eat in Warrington are pubs. Out of maybe 50+ food pubs I can think of 5 that I would visit and most of those are quite expensive.
Out of maybe 20 restaurants then I can think of only a couple I'd revisit. Again they are expensive.

No joking for a meal for 4 with a couple of drinks I could fly to Africa and back and probably pay for the accommodation.
Warrington is the Second Largest town in the UK!!!!!!

Going back to the pub I was talking about, it is a carvery pub. I called in for a quick lunch. I went for the carved beef and turkey baguette with trimmings.
The beef was overcooked and tasteless, the turkey! I had to take off because it was that dry it was drying the moisture up in my mouth. That's when I asked for a half bitter. It took them 10 minutes to serve it. $2.50 for 8oz. It hadn't settled when she left it so it ended up half foam.:(
No way am I going back. The worst of it is this place is actually one of the better chain pubs in the town.

orfy said:
The worst of it is this place is actually one of the better chain pubs in the town.

I get the feeling in general this is a trend in lots of areas. People are succumbing to the mass produced garbage and calling it "good food". Hence the "Slow Food" movement. But the followers of the Slow Food philosophy are still a rather small percentage of the population. Which is why beer is still served ice cold in most places.

orfy said:
You guys in the states really have no Idea how bad the food and drink in the UK can be. Don't get me wrong some places really have it right. I love going to London and some out of the way places. But if you ever go to the average pub or restaurants in an average town it is shocking.

Most of the places to eat in Warrington are pubs. Out of maybe 50+ food pubs I can think of 5 that I would visit and most of those are quite expensive.
Out of maybe 20 restaurants then I can think of only a couple I'd revisit. Again they are expensive.

No joking for a meal for 4 with a couple of drinks I could fly to Africa and back and probably pay for the accommodation.
Warrington is the Second Largest town in the UK!!!!!!

Going back to the pub I was talking about, it is a carvery pub. I called in for a quick lunch. I went for the carved beef and turkey baguette with trimmings.
The beef was overcooked and tasteless, the turkey! I had to take off because it was that dry it was drying the moisture up in my mouth. That's when I asked for a half bitter. It took them 10 minutes to serve it. $2.50 for 8oz. It hadn't settled when she left it so it ended up half foam.:(
No way am I going back. The worst of it is this place is actually one of the better chain pubs in the town.

Some of the food I got in the pubs while I was in university in Oxford was unbelievably bad. But the nicer pubs in the city were great--they really seemed to make an effort to serve beer at the proper temp, and the food was always worth paying for. But those big chain pubs were almost always a waste of money, particularly the big gastro-pubs. Or, even worse, the New Orleans-inspired 'American bar'. Ugh.

Latest posts

Back