What styles can you not drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of dark lagers, have you had Shiner Black? I love that stuff... definitely in my top five favorite beers. It's a Schwartzbier. After I discovered it I set about trying trying to find a suitable recipe to brew as an ale or hybrid lager/ale to rotate on tap with my smoked porter. My last batch of AHS Black Ale is already 2/3 gone a month after I started on it (that was after three months of conditioning). It's like a schwartz but has a little too much roasty character to be as swillable.

No I haven't. Actually the ONLY swatzbier I have ever had is Decojuicer's recipe, which after drinking his for a year, we brewed 10 gallons of it and split the batch, I need to bottle it up this weekend....

I'll look for Shiner Black...And if you want I'll try to find my copy of Deco's recipe and send it to you...I'll have to write it up, since it was handwritten.

It rocks!!!! Even before I discovered Vienna's, it was the beer that made ME think twice about Lagers.

It's his wife's favorite beer...In fact the running joke is that if they ever divorce, she want's in the divorce settlement that he would have to provide her a keg of it a month. :D

I feel like a failure in some respects because I just don't care for barleywines. I can *appreciate* the craft in a barleywine, but I hate the overwhelming sweetness. Even when properly bittered, it's just too much.

Please don't stone me for admitting this!

What about Old Guardian? I swear one bomber has enough hops in it to bitter a 5 gallon batch of IPA. :D

I really have not found a beer style that I do not like (and i have tried most of them:cross:) with the exception of fruity beers; even if they taste good there is still just something not right about them.

Although I guess I am the same way with food, I like it all!!!

I haven't enjoyed the lambics I've tried. I've had a couple of really strong ales that didn't do much for me either....

Bitters, Browns, & Stouts are easiest for me

...I have also found that I really do not care for the belgian witbiers I have had (blue moon, sam adams white ale...etc.) ...
I don't care for most of the Belgian Witbiers you have listed either, but I just shared a sixer of hoegaarden the other night with a buddy who loves that beer. I do appreciate that beer a whole bunch!

I can't believe it took to page 7 of replies for someone to suggest to the OP to try Hoegaarden! It defines the style.

Please do not judge a witbiers on Blue Moon. Do yourself a favor and try some Hoegaarden. If you like hefeweizens, I suspect you will like a good Belgian Wit.

I usually alternate what I brew for summer-one year a wit-I use the Hoegaarden yeast, and the next a hefeweizen for which I use the Weinstephan yeast. The hardest part of brewing the wit is crushing the unmalted wheat.

I don't care for most Wheat beers. I don't particularly like fruit beers, and I don't care for all of those seasonal "spiced" beers. Used to be that a brewers seasonal "Winter Ale" was just a nice strong brew. Now they're all gummed up with freakin' nutmeg and allspice and junk like that. Blech.

I don't like Lambic. It could grow on me but I don't think I will let it. I've not had a good maibock yet but I'm still open minded. I don't drink American Light Lager. Really... any well crafted beer will do for me, even if it is within the styles I listed.

I've only poured out two beers in my life: a smoked porter (award winning local brew) and a Eisbock that tasted like rubbing alcohol. Won't go back to either style.

But I'm going to give a shout out to the German Weizens :rockin: for all the haters. :)

Interesting to see all the posts about not liking wheat beers. I have always enjoyed American wheat beers but I recently tried a couple well known Bavarian Hefe's and couldn't stand it. I rarely dump beer but I dumped both. I guess I don't care for the banana/clove aroma and taste. The Belgian Wits I have had also had the same taste. I tried a Duvel golden ale a couple nights ago and same thing, couldn't drink it. I think it's the yeast strains I don't like.

I was planning to not post, but I have a new one. I despise every Kolsch I have ever tried. If I had to drink one Alaskan's Summer Ale would be my first choice. I have also had St Arnold's Special Lawnmower and Shiner Summer Stock. I am not going to run down the style, but it is my least favorite.

If I have to have a hefeweizen it will be the Spaten please. I did make the Pacific Gravity brewclub's Belgian wit and I plan to keep it on tap when my keezer is running. Every other hefe I ever had is barely fit for scrubbing toilets.

Lindeman's lambics are girly-man frat boy wannabe lambics for weenies. Go try the Liefman's and get back to us.

American barleywines are too sweet for me, bring me a grainy Brit one please.

Among BMC I am willing to pair real Bud and real Coors with lots of different foods. I don't have a use for any Miller product except "Brie and Pilsner" for upset stomachs, no need to waste Budvar on the sick.

EDIT: I don't much care for Delirium Tremens either, that's a lot of bubblegum. Is that a style?

Also, I rather like Maudite from Ounibrueioue, the rest of them are kinda so-so.

wheat beers aren't my thing. Oddly, I can drink blue moon. This hate includes hefe. I hate the banana flavor.

I'm a huge IPA fan though.

I've noticed from talking to some of my beer geek friends who don't like wheat beers, that a majority of them don't drink them for the same reason that I don't. That for some reason wheat beers seem to trigger a back of the throat gag reflex.

Or at least an upleasant sourness, that makes them want to gag....I've wondering if there some sort of biochemical trigger in wheat beers that causes that in some people, and they think there's something wrong with the beer, when in reality it is just that they have a genetic predisposition against too much wheat in a beer...

Like I said earlier, if there's a small percentage of wheat in the grist I don't mind it....like in A triple, it casues a refreshing dryness in the back of the throat. But too much and I feel like I going to gag....I wonder if it's similar to a peanut allergy, but for some reason only in Malted Wheat (I have no problem with bread, including whole wheat bread, so I don't think it's a full blown allergy.)

I know there is some weired food triggers out there...like the one for cilantro. There's a large percentage of the population ho when they eat cilantro it tastes to them like soap...(I am one of them, but not so bad as some people, I still like a little cilantro in salsas and stuff, but again too much and my tastebuds go off...No one knows why this is...there's several theories including a genetic predisposition, or that some people are super tasters.

THere's a good piece on it here. Getting To The Root Of The Great Cilantro Divide : NPR

I've been wondering for several years now if many of the wheat "haters" (I use the term loosely) like me have something similar to the cilantro "gene" and that's why so many people don't like it....

I'm sure some don't like wheats like some people don't like stouts, but I HAVE noticed many of us who dislike them actually have a visceral reaction to them in the back of our throats.

I also wonder if it's not the same "gene." as the cilantro...

It would be interesting to know a) how any of you don't like wheats because they make you want to physical gag, or they dry out the throat or something similar, something physical?

B) How many of you also can't tolerate the taste of Cilantro as well?

Cilantro Wheat huh??????? :D

Seriously, my father is the same way about wheat beers and cilantro. I don't know if it's the soap thing but he can taste the smallest amount of cilantro in anything and won't eat it! He's never liked wheat beer either. I love it all. I'll bring up that NPR show to him. Thanks revvy. :mug:

Hate wheat beers. Love cilantro.

I just don't care for that "clove-like" flavor, just like I hate ham that's been seasoned with cloves. Nasty.

HMMMM Good thread.

As a new brewer, I have about 50 beers on my todo list.

Now, I'll move the couple of the wheat beers down the list, and probably think of removing them. And I'll forget any cilantro / Coriander - that stuff is certainly gross.

HMMMM Good thread.

Now, I'll move the couple of the wheat beers down the list, and probably think of removing them. And I'll forget any cilantro / Coriander - that stuff is certainly gross.

Ha...I hope you're joking. Don't let these guys sway you from brewing something. Everyone has an opinion, and many opinions will not agree with your own.

I really dont like Lagers. I just never have. The only time I drink a BMC is when the Minnesota Vikings score a touchdown, at which point the entire house hold shot guns a beer. I havent found a wheat(pauliner, oberon, shocktop, Bluemoon) that I have liked. But thats not going to stop me from trying more to see if there is one that I like. I brew a Honey Wiess for my roomate, I really dont like it but i brew it anyway for her. However I loves me some Stouts Porters and IPA's in any fashion they come in.

What I will be doing after reading this thread is printing off the BJCP list and one by one crossing them off as I try them.

wierd but i don't really like Pils. For so many it's so easy to drink but not me.

Brown ales
Anything with pumpkin???? WHY! you brewing bastards.

HMMMM Good thread.

Na, you can't remove any beers until you try them for yourself. You may have those goofy taste buds that love wheat beers:D

It would be interesting to know a) how any of you don't like wheats because they make you want to physical gag, or they dry out the throat or something similar, something physical?

B) How many of you also can't tolerate the taste of Cilantro as well?

A) Wheats....they taste like plastic to me. This might just be my body's way of saying "Do NOT WANT"... so I guess you could say they make me gag

B) HATE cilantro. Can't eat it. Even a small amount of it in a salad, salsa, mashed potatoes, w/e ruins it for me. I simply cannot enjoy that dish.

This is interesting....

Cilantro Wheat huh??????? :D

Seriously, my father is the same way about wheat beers and cilantro. I don't know if it's the soap thing but he can taste the smallest amount of cilantro in anything and won't eat it! He's never liked wheat beer either. I love it all. I'll bring up that NPR show to him. Thanks revvy. :mug:

I dunno if there's a connection between the two it's just conjecture....

Hate wheat beers. Love cilantro.

I just don't care for that "clove-like" flavor, just like I hate ham that's been seasoned with cloves. Nasty.

But I think that's more of the "Preference" type of dislike, NOT what happens with me and some others, who have a physical trigger in the back of theri throat.....Like I said, I know when there is the slightest amount of wheat in the bill.....SOme of it I can tolerate and enjoy, like in a couple of Belgian beers from my favorite brew pub...it has just enough of an effect to be "enjoyable" but if there's too much wheat, or all wheat, then I'm gagging when I try to swallow it.

Wit beers are very sour....i had it once and vomited for atleast 15 mins or so...so i wound not prefer to it if some one gives me for free too... ;)

wheat beers usually taste like rotten pumpkin or gourd taste to me, pretty gross. that being said, I will TRY a wheat if I haven't had it before. I actually was reluctant to try 3Floyds gumball head, and it was awesome. exception. not rule

Imperial Beers, for some reason its so hard for me to choke these down. they have a horrid nasty almost sweet taste at first with a warm(achohol) after taste that makes me want to yak when i drink them lol

I will say the very first Sam Adam's Imperial Pilsner (iirc) was very tasty but the current Sam Adams Imperial wit reminds me of the 90 min Imperial IPA that dog fish.

Never had a style that I find "undrinkable" only beer I could barely drink was Sam Adams cranberry lambic.

I never had a beer that I couldn't drink or wouldn't, if it was offered. Me likes em all

For the most part I don't like fruit beers (Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic being the exception. I love this stuff.). The ONLY beer I have NEVER been able to choke down is Golden Anniversary. I would rather go sober and become a eunuch than drink another 6'er of that swill.

Storm

Spaten is the only beer that I had trouble choking down. However, this was at the Epcot center in Orlando. Maybe the keg was skunked? I hate to knock German beer making, but it had an after taste like a burnt tootsy roll. Like I said though, I only had one and it was in a theme park after all :).

Back