What Size Freezer do I want?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meschaefer

Reaction score
I am looking for a chest freezer that can hold two 6.5 gallon carboys to use for fermintation, cold crashing and lagering. I have looked around for dimiensions but I can only find outside dimensions not inside dimensions. Any help, would be appreciated.

Any suggestions?

What size freezer can you afford?

No matter how big it is when you unwrap it, it'll always be smaller than the next one you see.

Money is not the issue. Space constraints are.

Ideally I would want it to be able to hold two carboys and not take up any more space than necessary. Kegs will be dispensed from a sperate fridge, located in a more convenient location.

Checkl out This Thread by Edwort. It's was made for sizing cornies for kegerators, but the same practice would work for sizing for carboys. just use a piece of cardboard the size of your carboy.

I had seen that thread, and I may need to make some carboy cut outs. I just hoping to avoid making a trip to measure this stuff out as I am not ready for the freezer yet.

I am redoing my workshop and I wanted to make a section of workbench high enough that I could mount a freezer on wheels and roll it under the bench. I hope to build the bench this weekend, but probably wont need the freezer for a few weeks.

Ideally I would want it to be able to hold two carboys and not take up any more space than necessary. Kegs will be dispensed from a sperate fridge, located in a more convenient location.

For conditioning or fermenting? Seperate brews/styles/yeast or identicals in split carboys?

I ask because using a single box for a pair of carboys "can" be limiting for fermentation purposes and you might want to consider 2 smaller (5.3 to 5.5 cu/ft) instead of a single larger one.

For conditioning or fermenting? Seperate brews/styles/yeast or identicals in split carboys?

I ask because using a single box for a pair of carboys "can" be limiting for fermentation purposes and you might want to consider 2 smaller (5.3 to 5.5 cu/ft) instead of a single larger one.

Fair question, I do 10 galon batches split between two carboys. So they are identical.

I would need it to be able to hold a fermentation temp and then cold crash before kegging. With the ability to hold a low temp, I may give lagering a try.

Fair question, I do 10 galon batches split between two carboys. So they are identical.

I would need it to be able to hold a fermentation temp and then cold crash before kegging. With the ability to hold a low temp, I may give lagering a try.

A lot will depend on the compressor space and every maker humps differently. Some are better than others so, you'll definitly want a template. 8 "may" be big enough. 10 will definitelly give some wiggle room.

Back