What size freezer/chiller do you have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

formula2fast

Reaction score
So tonight while drinking one of my more recent brews, I finally pulled my head out of my a$$ and figured out why the 3 brews I have done recently didn't come out right.

I ferment in my basement. I started brewing last winter and all my beers were great. My basement in the winter is 65*. In the summer it is 76*. I need to get a freezer with a temp controller on it so I can ferment at the right temp all the time and have consistent results.

What size freezer are you guys using? I have (2) 6.5gal carboys and (3) 5 gallon carboys. I would like to be able to fit at least 2 of each if not all 5 of them in there.

Also, do run a blow off tube outside of the freezer, or leave it in there with a bowl of santizer?

formula2fast said:
So tonight while drinking one of my more recent brews, I finally pulled my head out of my a$$ and figured out why the 3 brews I have done recently didn't come out right.

I ferment in my basement. I started brewing last winter and all my beers were great. My basement in the winter is 65*. In the summer it is 76*. I need to get a freezer with a temp controller on it so I can ferment at the right temp all the time and have consistent results.

What size freezer are you guys using? I have (2) 6.5gal carboys and (3) 5 gallon carboys. I would like to be able to fit at least 2 of each if not all 5 of them in there.

Also, do run a blow off tube outside of the freezer, or leave it in there with a bowl of santizer?

I've used my 7 cf chest freezer to do 4 carboys of mixed sizes in a pinch. However, you really only need to keep a close eye on the temp for the first 3-5 days (off flavors generally emerge due to stress during the growth phase IME), so unless you're brewing 20+ gallons at a time & filling all your carboys at once, it may be MUCH cheaper to use dorm fridges. I got one free & it holds my 6.5gal carboy no problem :)

Usually I put the blowoff inside.

There are times when I will do two batches at a time so would need to put at least 2 6.5 carboys in there, but I figured as long as I was going to buy something, I would get something that would do all of my carboys. I have found some big chest freezers on craigslist for $100, I just wasn't sure of how many carboys would fit in there.

most 7 square foot will hold 2 with a collar(newer ones with a smaller hump likely wont need a collar), maybe 3 if your are lucky.

I have a 9 Cu Ft chest freezer and it will hold 3 buckets at a time. I was making 5 gallon batches when I got it so it was perfect. Now I'm making 11 gallon batches so it's kind of a pain - for the $200 difference I should have gotten the 13 cu ft so I could hold four fermentors at a time.

a small 5 cu foot "holiday", it has a collar so it fits two buckets barely one in the hole, one on hump (just enough on it)

Back