What size cooler for 5-gal. partial mashes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigel31

Reaction score
Hey Crew,

I'm moving along from all extract to partial mashes (PMs). Not going all grain yet, but PMs seem a great step for more control.

I've heard that a 2-gallon Rubbermaid or Coleman cooler with a spigot is fine for 5-gallon PMs, but if I do a fair amount of larger beers (7-12% ABV), which would presumably use extra pounds of grain, would I be better with a 3-gallon with a spigot?

Pluses or minuses? Also, if I got the 3-gal, would I still be able to do smaller beers (3-5% ABV), or would the grain bed be too thin if spread out in the 3-gallon cooler?

Thanks a lot,
Nige

Not going all grain anytime soon. No way to heat that much water, no outside/vented place for a cooker, no space for the larger coolers and all that cool stuff. So...I'm moving along to PMing.

I've heard of stovetop mashing, but also heard that using a 2- or 3-gallon cooler can keep temps steady better, due to the insulation.

Anyone with an answer to my question?

Cheers.

I did stovetop PMs a couple times and it worked OK. Bought and converted a 5G cooler with a braid and it was well worth it. Much easier and saved time. I currently do partial mashes with 7-8 lbs of grain. I should be able to use it for most beers when I go AG soon. If you are going to buy a cooler, go at least 5G and maybe 10G for when you go AG. I found my 5G at Menard for $16.

get a 5g round igloo cooler. great for pm, and will be good for eventually when you switch to ag for 5g batches. set it up now, and don't have to switch later. many of us ag'ers have a 5g and 10g tun anyway, so we can either use the right 1 for the batch we're doing, or do both (2 different flavors) at 1 time if we feel like it

The cooler can be rectangular or round, but the round ones seem to have a better seal for the lid. I also found it tough to keep consistant temp in a pot.

The 5 gal coolers are everywhere and widely used so you can get quick advice on conversion and sparge issues, etc.

I don't think they take up much more room that a 3 gal cooler and are probably the same price. If you be sure to pre-heat the cooler, I do not think the added space in the cooler will be too bad. So I would suggest a 5 gal.

Please post pics if you convert a smaller one. I think there was a big deal a while back about a mini-mash, you might find it with search. Luck

Latest posts

Back