what size burner..??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester

Reaction score
I had a turkey fryer burner that I used for my first brew then it broke somehow and doesnt work anymore... I had to borrow a neighbors burner to finish my second brew, but now I need to get another burner... I was look at HomeDepot and they have a few different burners... some are cast burners, some are jet burners..?? it seems like the jet burners have cheaper prices and higher BTUs... anyone ever use these...??? Also, as of now I have a 8 gallon brewpot... so what size (BTUs) do I really need..?? Thanks in advance.

Jester

Jet burners eat propane, are just about impossible to regulate and will caramelize your wort. The only time I've seen people use them is for heating the sparge water. Most turkey burners are around 55,000 btu. This might be a good time to get a 100,000 BTU burner from a brewing shop.

Bjorn Borg said:
i got mine at home depot (sandbridge) for 50 bucks...

Is that the Bayou Classic one for $49.95? The website says it's 135,000 btu's. Is that right?

HurricaneFloyd said:
Is that the Bayou Classic one for $49.95? The website says it's 135,000 btu's. Is that right?

i dont know the btu's, i cant find that info anywhere, on the website or in my manual...

Bjorn Borg said:
i dont know the btu's, i cant find that info anywhere, on the website or in my manual...

I click on the specifications tab on the burner's page on the home depot web site.

Bjorn Borg said:

I got this one today at home depot... I'm going to be starting a brew in a few hours... we'll see how it works...

Jester said:
I got this one today at home depot... I'm going to be starting a brew in a few hours... we'll see how it works...

did you get the q14? i still couldnt find the btu's...hows it working? Watch out for boil overs!!! it helps to have a spray bottle of water to knock em down or a spoon at hand to stir it down, i usually turn the burner all the way down when it starts to creep up, then stir and turn it back up...ive had a few messy 'overs still, even whyle staring at it knowing it was going to boil over...

I got the burner model sq-14.... it was labeled by homedepot at 130,000 btu or 150,000 btu.... I can't remember which.... it is going great so far... I am bringing the wort to a boil as we speak.... the sidekick-II makes watching a pot boil better... hehehee...

OMG just got one of those today. They work like a charm! 150,000 BTUs for $49.95, you can't go wrong. And the base is perfect sized for a converted keg.

Bjorn Borg said:

Back