What size batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are inexperienced, start w/ 2.5 gallons and work up to your comfort level.

While a 5 gallon batch is possible with a few work around like sparking, topping up the kettle w wort during the boil, and even topping up the fermenter, that’s not wise for the first time around the track w/ little seat time.

With a single dunk sparge, I put 3.6G into the fermenter at 1.094 out of a 5 gallon pot. Preboil volume was definitely the limiting factor.

Mash
20201211_100137.jpg

Top of boil
20201211_130700.jpg

ETA: I started with 2.75G ~1.050 full volume mash and worked my way up to 3.6G VIF with the single dunk.

Last edited:
If you are inexperienced, start w/ 2.5 gallons and work up to your comfort level.

While a 5 gallon batch is possible with a few work around like sparking, topping up the kettle w wort during the boil, and even topping up the fermenter, that’s not wise for the first time around the track w/ little seat time.
I used to brew 3 gallon all-grain batches, but due to space limitations am now doing two gallon extract batches and hope to be in a better living situation later in the year. While I downsized some time ago I kept my kettle and have acquired a biab bag which will allow me to resume all-grain brewing without having to replace a lot of equipment.

Well if doing extract then you can easily do 5 gallon batches. And if AG you can still do 5 gallons and you will have to dilute to whatever batch size you want, but will take a bit more figuring out.

Back