what should i use (to clean out old cornies)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskey Sowers

Reaction score
what should i use to clean out 2 corney kegs that have been sitting in my hot garage for a year probably with coke syrup in the bottom of them. I am afraid to open them up and see....lol

I found about 1/2 doz. old coke kegs with old syrups in them from a property my brothers and I purchased in Montana. They must have been in there sitting for at least 5-8 yrs. We just used a clorine solution and let them soak for a couple of days then followed up with a good hot rinse and some star san. I been using them now for the past year and other than changing a couple of the seals and 1 o-ring and poppet they have been doing just fine. or you could try oxy clean also.

fill them with hot water from the tap and put a 1/2 scoop of OxyClean in. Put on the lid, shake the hell out of it to ensure good mixture and let set. the Oxyclean will clean anything up. Just remember, when you use OxyClean in a keg it spits out gas and will put your keg under pressure, so bleed off before opening.

Then get all new o-rings and gaskets.

John

I agree that it shouldn't be that hard to clean, fill with hot water an oxyclean, let it soak a while on the bottom (an hour?) then flip it over into a tub of water to let the top half soak, soak all the fittings in another bucket (except dip tube, leave that with the corny).

I would steer away from using chlorine as it can corrode stainless steel.

If you are taking it apart, you might as well replace them if you can. They are cheap.

Also, remember to plug your nose or put vicks under it when you open it. haha

Is it a necessity to replace the o-rings? I have read and heard different opinions on this.

O-Rings are cheap. I would recommend you replace them. Nearly every used keg I have bought needed at least some of the o-rings. Replacing them all insures proper operation and then you know how old they are on an ongoing basis.

Gedvondur

that and getting the smell of soda (especially sprite and Dr. Pepper) out of the existing o-rings is nearly impossible.

Back